⇢ 𝘪 𝘢𝘮 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘮𝘺 𝘧𝘢𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳

THE SILENCE WITHIN the room was so apparent that you'd be able to hear a pin drop. The guests who attended the preliminary hearing sat in the gallery looked ahead at Y/N, who was on the witness stand.

The lawyer, wearing red-tinted glasses and unfolding his walking stick, went up to the stand near his table.

"Lieutenant Carter, I thank you for being able to be here today." Matthew Murdock told him.

" Matthew Murdock told him

Y/N simply nodded. The lawyer continued.

"Can you describe your relationship with the defendant?" He asked as he motioned to Peter Parker, who sat at the table he was just at.

"Mr. Parker is a very good friend of mine. He and May Parker are close to me and my family."

"How so? How did the relationship start?"

"I joined the late Tony Stark on a trip to Queens several years ago because we needed his help for some Avengers business. Peter was a causality of the decimation and I kept in touch with May from then on. When Peter came back we were all happy."

Matt nodded. "You say Avengers business. We all know Mr. Parker is Spider-Man. Do your interests align with his?"

"Interests? As in hobbies?" Y/N asked. "I don't know...despite my youthful look, my old soul can't get into the Instagrams and the TikToks."

There was light laughter from those in the gallery. Matt clarified his question.

"More so interests in your occupations."

Y/N nodded. "Then, yes. We both choose to help those in need. Protect the people we care about."

"Has Mr. Parker ever demonstrated any sense of...ill-will or enmity during his time as an Avenger?" Matt asked.

"From what I've seen...and from what Tony's experienced, no. Whoever thinks so—"

"Objection." The prosecutor interrupted. "My respects go to the late Tony Stark, but he's dead so his supposed words are hearsay."

"Sustained." The judge agreed.

Matt continued. "You bring Mr. Stark up often. He was the one who gifted Mr. Parker with the E.D.I.T.H technology and drones. Would you say he's qualified to have them?"

"Of course."

"Why?"

"Tony wouldn't have done so if he didn't think Peter was fit to have it. He was big on trust, that I know."

Matt took a breath as he glanced at the papers in front of him. He looked back up at the soldier.

"Your father, Captain Steve Rogers, was a role model to a whole nation. Even to millions of people overseas. Would you say he was also yours?"

"Objection. Relevance?" The prosecutor called out.

"I'm getting there, Your Honor." Matt said.

She nodded. "I'll allow it. The witness may answer."