Chapter fifty-eight

Layla

The darkness has evaporated. I'm able to see inside Leo's now.

I walk inside curious since the windows are intact and the doors are back on their hinges but I stop in my tracks from what else I see. My mouth drops in utter shock from the many civilians lying in contorted positions over the tables, chairs and on the floor. One man is laid through what used to be the glass panel in the middle that divides the booth seating. His body drapes over one side, while his legs rest on the table opposite. Glass shards are scattered on his torso and deep cuts bleed which causes a river of red to run down the side and pool at the bottom. Everyone here has scratch marks engraved in their bodies. Some little, some large. Blood paints almost every wall in messy splatters and strokes.

I don't want to be here anymore but the door behind me slams shut. What?

     "Hey let me out!" I bang on the door but nothing happens.

     "Layla" a strained voice calls and I turn from the sound of my name.

I slowly walk around, glass crunches beneath my feet as I try to avoid the sights of the unnatural shapes and disfigurements of people. Who said my name?

     "Where are you?" I call out as if this person is talking, they are alive.

My heart is thumping as I tread carefully around. Now turning round the corner of the aisle to face the kitchen and tills. I'm swallowing the feeling of nausea while I hear my own footsteps clap on the carpet. Carpet? You can't hear footsteps this loud on carpet?

I stop but the footsteps keep going, they sound as if they are coming from the tiles near the kitchen in front of me.

     "Who's there?" The shuffle of movement makes a chair topple off one of the tables and crash when it hits the floor.

Someone touches my shoulder and I swivel around from the contact to find Maylock. His eyes are bright and his hair is curly and bounced. He doesn't have his armour on and is wearing a different outfit to what he was before we came to the city. 

     "Maylock" I breathe, relieved to see him. 

     "I think you have some explaining to do" he mutters and approaches me. I back off from his advance but he keeps going. "You did this"

     "No, I didn't" I reach my hand out to stop him coming closer when I see my bare hands and arms. 

I don't have my armour on but what's worrying is that I have bloodied claws coming out from where my fingernails should be. Long sharp claws!

     "Yes. You. Did" his eyes sear into me as he smiles, dark red is painted on his teeth.

     "This is a Trixala simulation. This isn't real" I frown as I would never commit to doing something like this. Not hurting, killing or maiming civilians. Not now, not ever. 

     "This is real Layla" he comes in front of me, grabbing both of my arms. His grip is tight and I freeze. 

The brightness in his eyes diminishes. 

     "This is all you!" he bellows and his flawless, warm skin begins to peel and show bloodied imperfections. 

A deep three-strike cut is carved across his cheek and scratches are all over on his neck and arms. My breath catches in my throat from shock at his appearance. 

     "You attacked me and hurt Abbey and Zack" Maylock glares and squeezes my arms tighter. "You killed Jordan" 

     "No, I would never..." all words fail me because this cannot be a reality. "How can this be real!" I shout out almost to the point of tears forming in my eyes. 

His grip on my arms increases so I pull away but it doesn't make him let go. 

     "Let me go" fear runs cold through me but he doesn't release me. "Maylock, stop it" I pull and his hold loosens slightly so I pull again and he releases my arms. 

I whiplash back and hit the door behind me. 

     "Civilians died because of you!" he angers and coughs which causes blood to bubble up from his mouth and dribble down his chin. 

     "This is Trixala! I scream at him.

     "Trixala affects your memory" he coughs once more and blood comes running out of his nose and mouth but he doesn't wipe it away.

     "You never told me that" I state aloud confused.

      "We did. You just didn't listen. You never do as your told. Always ignoring. Always stubborn"

     "No" I can't believe this.

I grasp my head, not wanting to see or hear anymore. I did not do this.

     "You're a werewolf" I suddenly hear Zack as he comes from behind Maylock. His top is ripped in a three-lined strike and blood is oozing from it. "Did you really think we didn't know?"

     "How stupid do you think we are?" Abbey emerges from the left of Maylock. Grazes mark her arms and face as she also has a three lined strike mark on her neck. 

     "Now unity be broken and chaos will ensue" Zack smirks sardonically. His eyes have a darkness to them. I have never seen this evil glint with Zack before. "You killed Jordan, injured us, what's next? Baymin? More civilians!"

     "You just couldn't stop yourself" Maylock adds and all my thoughts are spiralling out of control and sense. 

     "I didn't mean... I didn't do anything..." I can't make a clear coherent sentence as I am trying to process all of this, maybe even processing that I could have actually done this. 

No.

I don't remember doing it but I realise that the only other time I didn't remember what happened was in that concrete room on the full moon. Maybe I transformed? Baymin said not to get worked up in a fight and I was just in one, but I didn't feel angry and didn't feel anything like what I did last night. I couldn't have done this.

     "You turned on us" they slowly move towards me. 

     "Cut these civilians down like cattle!" Zack shouts and I jump up on a table, being wary of the blood and bodies as I duck under the metallic frame that held the glass panel dividing the tables.

I drop down to the other side to get away from them but they follow me, splitting up to cover all angles I could make a move too. 

     "Here is the result. Blood and gore. Are you happy? You got what you wanted" Abbey's nose is running with blood. It's dripping onto the floor but she isn't doing anything to stop it.

I step away from all of them but I am back at the door, cornered and with nowhere to go. 

     "You have a bad nature within you" Maylock is stood on one of the tables and jumps down. "A monster" he points to me as he meets with the others and they close in on me. 

I rattle the handle and bang on the door but nothing works. 

     "You don't belong with us" he spites. 

Each one of their injuries begins to bleed and flow like a river that makes its own path down their faces and bodies. Blood is getting into Abbey's eye, Zack's ear and Maylock's mouth but they don't do anything about it. 

     "You don't belong to anyone!" Maylock pushes me hard and I fall back into the door which opens and everything turns white.