Chapter 26: Found

Alex's Point of View

In the end, when your mind has been bruised and battered by isolation, you can convince yourself that almost anything has happened. But there are some things you can never forget. I remember Autumn festivals in the summer, the smell of pumpkin seeds in the air, that conveyed the most mouth watering aroma. The delighted chatter of the people walking. Laughing and squealing as they won prizes and rode rides that were probably so dangerous that you don't even want to think about. Any mechanical contraption known as a roller-coaster that takes a day to put up seems unlikely to be a safe piece of engineering.
Why do people ride roller-coasters and jump off planes and die waiting for their turn to climb Mount Everest?
Why bother to breathe when your going to die anyway?

Experience. It's the bittersweet taste in your mouth, you can't seem to get enough of. I use to wait in the snow, face to the sky for a mouthful of snow, but by the time a snowflake fell on my tongue it had already melted. I use to get up early to watch the sunrise over the steepest hill or mountain. I use to throw pebbles into a lake, letting them bounce and create ripples until my arms got sore. I use to live. I zip lined in the Amazon, and lived with a tribe of panthers for a year in Africa. In a small village in the middle of nowhere, I used my magic to build a church out of sand and it still stands today. With a service every Sunday and a day dedicated to the mysterious Saint Alexander.

Flashback:
The sun was melting in the sky like a rainbow popsicle on concrete. But she wasn't melting. Not even close. She brightened as the day went on like a single flame at night, so bright that it burns your eyes, but fascinating enough that you can't seem to ever stop staring at it. That was Violet. Bright, and bold and beautiful, like the first flames to ever come to earth.

"I had fun today." She said, her eyes fixed on the horizon.
"Me too." I added softly. "Do you ever think about him?"
I could hear her soft sigh, "Not as much as I probably should." She paused, collecting her thoughts, "Do you think about her?"
"No." I responded, "I think about someone else now." She turned and looked at me.
"Who?" I walked closer to her, leaning down, I peered at her long eyelashes, as they winked at me.
"You." I could hear her breathing hitch. "Kiss me, Violet." I said softly our faces were so close that our noses touched.
"Alex... I..." She seemed at a loss for words.
"I know your were cat will love him and that you two are forever bonded. But what I feel for you, this is real. This isn't destined or planned. This is real love not mate love. This is what real love feels like. It doesn't take a day. It isn't done at a mates ball in a stuffy suit and a tight dress with the filling out of paperwork. A signature can't make you love someone."

"You can't possibly mean that. Alex look at me, I mean really, really look at me."

"You're beautiful."

"No I'm broken."

"Can I kiss you now?"

She seemed to be thinking it over.

"Okay."

You never miss something until it's gone. You can estimate your pain, but at the end of the day, when it really happens, no one is prepared. No one is prepared for the late nights of staring at the ceiling or in this case, the roof of a cave. No one is prepared for how your mind never seems to stop thinking about them. About how you can debate with yourself all day about whether that moment you seemed to have conjured up ever meant anything or is your mind playing tricks on you, and you got the details wrong. No one is prepared for the movie in your mind that just keeps replaying. Funny, how you can sum up your love life in an hour. And, especially no one is prepared for all the sucky emotional stuff that comes afterward. You know what I'm talking about, the 'what did I do wrong', and 'how could I've ever done that'. Then there's the embarrassment, the fact that you are actually becoming a walking cliche and you've broken every single rule in your book, and you've grown too attached. So to sum it up so everyone understands.

Love sucks.

In all honesty, considering everything I've officially decided. I don't believe in love. I believe in Violet, and Violet is so much than some fantasy.

Violet's Point of View

I was awoken in the dead of night by a thump. It was like an ancient beating drum beating around a campfire. Suddenly, screams filled the air as I heard the familiar sound of gun fire. The sound felt far away most likely in another part of the building. Were we under attack? I quickly changed silently and tiptoed out through the hallway. The screaming had stopped and there was only silence. An blaring alarm sounded and suddenly everyone came charging out from their doors. The men were dressed as warriors and the women scattered in different directions clutching their children. "We fight to defend our compound against these intruders!" A man sounded as he lead a group toward the East Wing of the building. I took a deep breath and sniffed the air, focusing on my surroundings I blocked out the scent of the werecats. My eyes widened.

Mate.

My primal instinct took over and I ran straight towards where the men were headed. I could feel my legs burning. I saw him. My heart skipped a beat. At the leader of the pack, Jace stood, the only one in human form. Throwing werecats with his bare hands, and defending some off with a sword. Our eyes met. It was him. His eyes still held the same golden fire, only this time it was brighter as if I was the only light in the darkness. "Violet." I heard him whisper in astonishment and awe. Suddenly, I was grabbed away by several guards.

"We are ordered to keep you safe. Step away from the battlefield and come with us. " The guards grabbed my arms and pulled me away.

"No, I want to stay," I said struggling against their grasp.

"Violet!" Jace called out to me, as he pushed the battlefield, slashing warriors left and right, but he was to far away. One of the guards hissed at him, showing his pointed fangs, "Stay away from our future leader." His grip tightening on me in a protective manner.

Jace growled at him, still at a far distance. "Get your hands off of her!" He yelled. I was quickly pulled away, deeper into the crowd. No. I was losing him all over again. "Violet, I will find you!" I heard Jace scream over the roaring the battlefield, his voice drowning out all other sounds. My vision blurred as I felt tears wet my cheeks.

The guard who had hissed at Jace gave me a comforting smile, "Don't worry Violet, he can't get to you now."

That was exactly what I was afraid of.