Chapter 14: New Beginnings

“I was suffering the easily foreseeable consequences. Addiction is the hallmark of every infatuation-based love story. It all begins when the object of your adoration bestows upon you a heady, hallucinogenic dose of something you never dared to admit you wanted-an emotional speedball, perhaps, of thunderous love and roiling excitement. Soon you start craving that intense attention, with a hungry obsession of any junkie. When the drug is witheld, you promptly turn sick, crazy, and depleted (not to mention resentful of the dealer who encouraged this addiction in the first place but now refuses to pony up the good stuff anymore-- despite the fact that you know he has it hidden somewhere, goddamn it, because he used to give it to you for free). Next stage finds you skinny and shaking in a corner, certain only that you would sell your soul or rob your neighbors just to have 'that thing' even one more time. Meanwhile, the object of your adoration has now become repulsed by you. He looks at you like you're someone he's never met before, much less someone he once loved with high passion. The irony is,you can hardly blame him. I mean, check yourself out. You're a pathetic mess,unrecognizable even to your own eyes. So that's it. You have now reached infatuation's final destination-- the complete and merciless devaluation of self."

~Elizabeth Gilbert

Violet's Point of View~~~

        I shifted back to human form, and turned to face Alex who had already shifted. The cave walls surrounded us, a dome protecting and enslaving us. I had lost everything, but was it really anything at all? Jace, the soul mate who is trying to kill me, and my pack, who currently at the moment is hunting me down. "Tell me the truth." I demanded, knowing that Alex had all the answers. "I want the truth, why does Jace hunt werecats down so badly?" Alex sighed and motioned for me to sit down. I sat down beside him, near the blue crystals, who twinkling reflection reminded me of the stars. Alex began to speak, "Two years ago I turned sixteen, and like you I shifted into my panther. At first, I didn't know what to think of being a werecat, I knew my life was in danger and that I should probably go into hiding so I don't get killed, but I loved my werewolf pack and I couldn't leave it. A few months after I shifted I went to the Mate's Ball, because I was forced to by my parents. I went to the mate's ball and met my soul mate, her name was Catrina. Catrina and I fell in love very quickly. After six months of dating, I asked her to be my wife. She agreed. I thought this was going to be my happy ending but I realized I couldn't marry Catrina unless I told her the truth about what I was. I told her I was a werecat, and Catrina told me she wanted nothing to do with me. She filed soulmate rejection papers, and told the Council of Werewolves that I was a werecat, and I became a fugitive. The day after the Mate's Ball, I came to her house to try to convince her to change her mind. But I was too late, I saw her kissing Jace. He was her  soulmate.  I did the only thing I could, I fled to Europe. I came back six months ago, to hear that she's dead and was killed by a werecat then I met you, and here we are."

        I'm silent, processing the information, another werecat, another mate.

        "So what now?" I asked. 

       "Now," Alex says pausing, "We train, we get stronger, we become undefeatable. Then we take down the Red Sword pack, and then we get our happy ending." Happy ending something that for someone like me always seemed impossible. I nodded, and stared at Alex's mysterious green eyes. He was the person I knew least about yet trusted the most.

        "Where do we start?" I questioned.

        "In Russia." Alex answered.

        Alex snapped his fingers and something that resembled a science fiction portal appeared. I looked at the blue swirl like portal and back at Alex who was smiling like the Cheshire cat. Did he just make that portal appear? How? Alex winked at me, "Don't worry so enough you'll be able to do that and so much more." He laced his fingers with mine and dragged me through the portal. I could feel a warm sensation pass through me as my molecules began to be rearranged. And I fell, landing softly on the snow-covered floor of Russia, I started to get up and  I immediately knew that this was a new beginning to something more.