Chapter 3:The Ball

I took another sip of my coke, that I brought from home, and I refused the champagne. My mother was not happy about me, embarrassing her in front of her friends but I told her I wasn't risking getting drunk in front of my mate; which was a half-truth. I wasn't going to risk getting drunk, because I couldn't expose myself as a werecat in front of everyone. I doubt I have a mate, and even if I did he would most likely be a werecat. Sure there are rare mate occasions every few years I suppose. Last year one girl was mated to a vampire, a few years back a boy was mated to a human, and years before that an Alpha was mated to an Omega. But if my mate was here in this alcoholic palace, then we would be the first werecat-werewolf couple.

The Alpha's sit at the center of a table, though Alpha Jace, Alpha of the Redwood Pack had yet to arrive. I honestly hope he doesn't. The presence of him and his pack give me goosebumps. The fact that they killed the last of my kind doesn't exactly settle well with Charlie and I.

Alpha Jace, finally arrives, looking arrogrant as ever, him and his pack which consists of 600 pack members twice as many as all the other packs. He takes his seat, and waves. All the girls in the room swoon while, the black sheep, me, roll her eyes. The girl left to me, who's sparkling like a disco ball in pink, whisper yells excitedly. "It's almost midnight, I smell love in the air!"

"You're probably smelling teenage hormones." I say to her with a sarcastic smile. She shoots me a glare, and I shrug my shoulders at her.

The girl on my right smiles ever so slightly at my comment. Look's like I found a new best friend.

"Hi I'm Violet." I introduce myself to the her, waiting for a reaction.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Heather." She smiles back at me.

"Which pack are you from?" I ask.

"Redwood." She replies back.

"They just got here." I say confused.

"Yeah but I left early for the library I had to check out a book, and the library is walking distance from here so I got here right on time." She says, showing me a copy of The Fault of Our Stars by John Green.

"I love that book!" I exclaim.

"Shh... Don't spoil it for me." She says excitedly.

"Finally a werewolf who reads!" I say amazed.

"I know right? I thought I was the only one."

"You're never alone." I say. The thought makes me think of my real parents, who are probably dead, or maybe they're not. The thought comes to my mind and gives me a sliver of hope. There has to be one other werecat out there, right? My thinking is interrupted when a voice takes the microphone.

"Welcome Werewolves." and one disguised werecat. "This is the Mates' Ball, who excited to find their mates ladies and gentlemen?" I hear almost all the guys go boo while the girls cheer excitedly. I feel for the guys. "Midnight starts in

5...

4...

3...

2...

1..."

The guys scramble from their seats while the girls are required to sit still, so you're mate can spot you. Everyone in the room spots their mate within 5 seconds, and are rushing to their side, to be with them. No one has come over to me, and I'm smiling like the Chesire Cat on Christmas. Someone taps my shoulder to get my attention, and I could feel the mate sparks at his touch. No, no, no! Why me? I was so close to a clear. I turn around slightly, to see my worst nightmare.

Alpha Jace is my mate.

This is bad. Charlie mind-links me.

Charlie's right.

I am so going to die.