Chapter 20: Fate

The world is full of evil and lies and pain and death. And you can't hide from it; you can only face it. The question is, when you do: how do you respond? Who do you become?

-Phil Coulson in Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S1E12

Violet's Point of View~

        I could feel my heart pounding against my chest, my breath hitched. The air felt dense as Jace looked at me, with his piercing blue eyes and I felt like I barely knew him. Within the past weeks that I had lived with him. I barely knew him. What had we exchanged? Small talk, and curious looks. I didn't truly know him. His favorite color. Childhood memories. But, I wanted to. I wanted to be his partner, his friend, but most of all I wanted to be his mate. But truly I was too scared to fall in love, to risk getting my heart broken, maybe because I didn't believe in happy endings. Or because I didn't want to believe in happy endings. After all this time, of being an orphan, of feeling abandoned maybe I wanted to believe I was alone, because loneliness was so much easier than hoping. Because hoping meant giving your heart and soul to the case. It means putting everything into your belief. Everything. Every piece of you. It means that when you realize your hope was a lost cause that everything you put in was worthless, and suddenly you look at everything you put in, and you see how broken and demolished it's become.

        I had made my decision.

        There was no backing out now.

        I was about to speak when a guard burst out the door.

        "Alpha, I'm sorry to interrupt but you need to see this." He spoke boldly with a sense of urgency in his voice. Jace's eyes darted to him, flickering from me to him. As if debating who was more important, I nodded my head at him.

        "Speak." He commanded at his guard.

        The guard shook his head. "This is something you need to see for yourself." Jace and I exchanged a look.

        "Just give me a second." He replied shooing the guard out the door. The guard hesitated, but Jace gave him a glare, that who make anyone obey.

        "Have you made your decision?" He questioned. My throat felt dry as I nodded my head meekly at him.

        "Well?" He said impatiently.

        I took a deep breath, "I pick you, Jace. You're my soul mate after all and I realize that we haven't given each other a chance to truly get to know each other and I want to give this mate thing a try." I said staring at his blue eyes. He was silent, his face blank, not giving anything away. My heart pounded against my rib cage, I think my heart's going to explode. He suddenly engulfed me in a hug. I was breathless in shock. "I won't let you down, Violet. We'll take things as slow as you want." I nodded, letting his scent charm me. He slowly let me go, not wanting the moment to end. He kept his arm around my waist and shot me a startling grin. I tried not to act dazed as I glanced up and smiled back softly. I hope this works out. "We should go, let's see what's going on." He said sounding happy beyond belief. He led me out and I held his hand unable to keep the smile off my face. A thought suddenly came to mind, Alex. I mentally groaned as I debated on how I would tell Jace that I needed to leave soon to search for him.  I inhaled the air, and a familiar scent filled the air. Alex was here. It seems I wouldn't have to search for after all. I discreetly scanned the room and there was no sign of him.

Alex? I mind-linked. I wonder if we're in close enough range.

Violet! You're okay.