Chapter 11: The Meeting

It was completely dark, from where I stood. I was on the edge of the balcony, preparing to jump, when I heard the door creak open. "Violet?" Jace called out to an empty room, I was on the balcony. I stepped down, and mentally face-palmed. "Here on the balcony." I said to him, looking out at the forest, knowing I was going to be late for my meeting. He came towards me, his blue eyes began clouded as if he was remembering something forgotten.

"The stars are beautiful aren't they?" Jace looking out. "Look at the stars. They are the same stars as last week, last year, same as when we were kids. When we weren't even born. In a hundred years, no one will know who we are. But they'll know the same stars."

He eyes glowed with a familiar memory, as he continued to look up mesmerized. I looked at the clock on the wall, wanting to leave for the meeting to quench my curiousity, but I didn't want to ruin this moment. I sighed, and looked up. "But how could you love me? When I am a cluster of stars and you are a thousand galaxies." I smiled slightly reciting one of my favorite tumblr quotes.

Jace looked at me, and smiled genuinely. I noticed how close we have gotten, we were standing shoulder to shoulder, leaning towards each other by some cosmic force unknown. He seemed to notice it too.

We were inches of being nose to nose with each other. He leaned in slowly, too close for comfort, and for a second I wanted to let my guard down, just this once. Just this once, allow myself to imagine the could-have-been's that Jace and I were normal mates, with no secrets, just each other. I leaned in a centimeter, but then I backed away.

"I want to go to sleep Jace. It's late." I said. I painfully walked to the door, each step I was walking on glass. I opened the door, and motioned for him to leave. His face fell, his eyes vulnerable and confused, but he left. I closed the door, and sighed my back against the door. 

The things I do for survival. I thought sadly. I leaped out the window and headed to the forest my mind occupied. A few minutes later, I made it to the waterfall. I dipped my toes in the water and resisted the urge to get in.

"You're late." Alexander said.

"I'm sorry Jace came."

"I know."

"Why do you need to tell me so badly that you couldn't do at the pack house?"

"Follow me." Alexander said, jumping into the water.

"Where?" I said confused.

Alexander grinned, and said, "Go through the waterfall there is an underground cave, unless you're a scaredy cat."

I rolled my eyes, but grinned anyways. "Not a chance, kitten." I jumped in splashing him. I swam through the waterfall into the underground cave. The cave was well lit by candle light, and had a faint smell of vanillla. 

Alexander turned serious,"Violet, you're in danger."

"I'm aware." I replied frowning slightly.

"No you're not. You're aware that you are currently sleeping with the lions, but you are not aware of the fact that werecat hunters are after you."

"Werecat hunters?"

"Yes. Werecat hunters who will probably try to hunt us down in any moment. So we need a safe word."

"Umm what about the word, sunset?"

"Sunset?"

"Yes. Sunset."

"Okay the safe word is sunset. You need to go, contacting each other is dangerous, and if you ever need me, draw a picture of a sunset and put it on your window, and I will do the same. If I contact you then it means that the werecat hunters found us and we need to leave." Alexander said, worriedly. I nodded and turned to leave.

"Goodbye, Alexander." I said as I left, Alexander called out to me.

"It's Alex for you."