Chapter 4 - They Know And I Know They Know

Lyra POV: 

There weren't many moments in my life where murder had seemed like the best choice. Something inside me in this particular moment wanted to kill Edward Masen. I wanted to see him writhe in agony, I wanted to hear him scream.

There was too much happening around me at once. Edward had wrapped his remaining hand around Caius' throat and slammed him into the ground. Marcus and Aro had been too engrossed in my wellbeing to see him creep up behind Caius, and I wasn't quick enough to say anything. A sharp pain spread like fire throughout me.

A thousand voices screamed in my head as cracks appeared around Caius' neck.

Edward was seconds away from ripping Caius' head off, his eyes gleaming with insanity. He looked to the fireplace next to him and something in my mind snapped. Aro and Marcus both lunged forward as Edward fell back clutching at his head and screaming.

Aro POV:

I charged forward to stop what would become, but even I knew I wasn't fast enough. I had seen my sister die, now it felt like it was time to see my brother succumb to the same fate. An icy hand of fear gripped my undead heart, when abruptly it all stopped.

It was as if an invisible force was ripping at the Cullen boys brain. I looked around to see Jane, but only saw Lyra. Her eyes looked lifeless. Edward wailed and thrashed around on the ground, gripping his hair as my mate somehow obliterated his mind. Lyra took a step forward and Edward's screams grew louder. Caius stood up and dusted off his clothes.

I looked around the room, but only saw surprise on Marcus and Caius' faces. Carlisle had a resigned look on his face, Jasper looked pleased and Alice was somewhere in between. The rest of the Cullen family entered the room as Edward continued to howl in pain. I had no intention to stop Lyra, whatever she was doing, the Cullen kid had deserved it. Marcus, however, rushed in front of her to break the trance she was in.

As Lyra made eye contact with Marcus the light returned to her eyes. She whimpered as she began to fall but Marcus caught her, burying her into his chest. I felt a sharp jolt of pain in my chest and most likely Caius did as well. We both rushed to comfort our mate who was now hysterically sobbing into Marcus' cloak.

"It's okay little one," Marcus soothed, "You're so brave tesoro, look you saved Caius". Marcus lightly moved our mate so that she was looking at Caius. Caius took this opportunity to step forward and grab Lyra's hand. I desperately wanted to comfort our mate just as much, but I wasn't wearing gloves. The big one - Emmett - moved forward to drag Edward out of the room, who was still whining. All of the Cullen's looked repulsed as Edward was hauled by them.

Lyra's breathing was still uneven as she began to calm down. Carlisle rushed towards Marcus and Caius, carefully moving Lyra into his arms. Marcus made a displeased face expression and Caius snarled. At this, Carlisle glared at both of them, "Lyra needs rest and we have multiple details to discuss". Marcus reluctantly let go, whilst Caius still had a murderous expression on his face. I was taken aback by Carlisle's straightforwardness. "Alice, Jasper, Rosalie, one of you will always be in Lyra's room while me and the kings straighten out some matters," his tone left no room for debate. Alice and Jasper both ran out the door, most likely heading to Lyra's room.

Carlisle gently picked our mate up with an extremely concerned look on his face. "Carlisle," Lyra whimpered, causing us all to take a step forward. "It's going to be okay bunny," surprisingly at this she relaxed, shutting her eyes. The rest of the Cullen's followed Carlisle out, leaving us alone in the room.

As soon as they left, we all slumped down into the nearest seats. Marcus rubbed his forehead looking tired, Caius on the other hand, had both his hands clenched into fists. He looked homicidal.

I sighed and their attention instantly snapped to me. "What the fuck just happened," it wasn't a question as much as it was a statement. "The Cullen scum tried to kill me, brother, that's what happened." Caius suddenly looked over at Marcus, "but that's not what surprises me. The fact that he's still alive is what has me befuddled."

"Peace Caius," Marcus said, his eyes closed and head leaning back on the sofa. "We cannot kill the Cullen filth". Caius said nothing but his eyes conveyed all the joy he felt about the idea.

"That actually reminds me Marcus, why did you stop our mate from... doing whatever it was she was doing," I asked curiously. Marcus opened his eyes and leaned forward, lowering his voice. "Do not be angered brothers," he pointedly looked at Caius, "but our mate has a very strong connection to Edward, I could feel the pain coming off of her in waves as she was hurting him". A frown found its way onto my face.

"But why?" Caius said harshly. Both me and Marcus sent him a glare that caused him to huff. "This will prove to be an issue," I suddenly felt more tired than I had ever in many millennia. Lyra did not deserve this; she deserved far better. I wanted to rip Edward into a million pieces for complicating everything to this extent. I did not rule for Bella's turning because I wanted to annoy him, it was the correct decision, albeit a decision that was coming back to bite us.

"Do you have any idea what happened when Edward was screaming?" Caius asked the both of us. I shook my head, "I think it has something to do with her mind-link gift". Marcus nodded thoughtfully, "perhaps it is only the Cullen's who will be able to shed light on this matter".

We could hear Carlisle's footsteps. "I wonder why they haven't already told us, this seems important" I snarked. Carlisle entered the room looking weary. "There is something that we withheld from you," Carlisle sighed. Caius laughed, "you seriously don't expect us to be surprised, do you?" Marcus looked like he wanted to die once more and I mentally swore.

"What you have hidden is in the past, the information you decide to share with us now can decide your future," Marcus had a dangerous edge in his voice. Carlisle groaned and sat down in a chair, facing us all. "This may not be easy to hear," his voice was monotone. He may have been able to hide his anguish by his calm façade, but his eyes gave him away.

2 updates in one day I am so cool C: 

For those of you wondering I intend on taking this book to around 30-35 chapters and it'll be finished by 1st October.

Again I'm going to be updating this over every weekend (I'm updating 3 more times this weekend) and if someone desperately desperately wants me to I will update sooner.

Author over and out.