Chapter 10 - First Impressions Last A Lifetime

Meeting new people wasn't my thing, it gave me abundant amounts of anxiety. Meeting everyday people that I would probably never see again made me question if I had acted correctly. Today I was literally to meet who were supposedly my new family. "You need not worry my queen everything will be fine," Alec reassured me. "You are the new matriarch of our coven, they have no reason to dislike you," Jane piped in, putting away the pile of clothes that had materialised over the past hour. "I just hope I don't come off as rude," Alec gave me a confused look, "Why?" I shook my head, chuckling, "Alec, if I'm mated to the three kings that means one day I'll have to step into the shoes of queen." Alec nodded, "then why are you worried of being rude? Queens are rude?"

His idea took me by surprise and I began chuckling, Jane looked dumbfounded as well not understanding my amusement. "Gosh what queens have you been around?" They both stiffened at this and looked away. "Queens are leaders and leaders shouldn't be rude, the only way a leader can lead is if they know what problems need fixing. How do you suppose they'll know that if they aren't equal and kind?" Jane seemed to understand but Alec's face was still set into a confused frown. "Alec, if I act rude will anyone tell me what's bothering them?" He shook his head. "Then how will I know what to do?" Alec seemed to finally understand as he exhaled loudly. "I get it," he said happily. "No wonder Sul-" Alec was abruptly cut off by Jane. "My queen, you should wear this!" she said excitedly, pointing to a dark red button up. "We already tried that Jane, it's a tad bit too loose," I was confused, 'what was Alec about to say'.

"You both are twins aren't you?" I asked instead of posing the obvious question. I had tried to get information out of Jane and by now I had realised that if there was something I should know they would tell me. Unlike usual Alec spoke up, "Yes, we were born in England in 800 AD," he looked proudly at his sister who just rolled her eyes. "Who's older?" Jane seemed a little awkward due to my interest. Alec on the other hand was grinning like a child, I realised quickly that that's exactly what they were, they couldn't have been older than 13 when they turned. "Technically I'm the eldest my queen, however, Alec seems to forget that at times," Alec snorted at the playful jab. My next question seemed to strike a nerve, "when did you turn?" All humour left Alec's face and Jane also stiffened again. "Sorry, you don't have to answer" I said gently, taking a step towards Jane trying to ease her distress.

"We were 13, the towns-folk thought our family were witches. They killed our parents and were going to burn us at the stake. Then Master Aro showed up. He turned us just in time." Jane's voice had an angry edge to it. Alec was looking off into the distance trying to escape the memory. I could see the pain in both of their eyes and my heart-wrenched. We weren't all that different. We had all lost our innocence at an age that was sinfully too young. "Aro sired you?" I asked, trying to dispel any amount of tension that I could. Jane nodded a small amount of light returning to her eyes. No wonder the twins idolised Aro so much.

"We can never thank him enough for the life he has given us," Alec looked stern. "We are happy he found you, you seem good for him," Jane sounded as though she was reading out a fact. Chuckling I voiced my thoughts, "I hope that one day I mean as much to the both of you as he does".

"By the way, who's part of the main guard again?" My attention was once again brought to the daunting task in front of me. "There is Santiago, Afton, Corin, Renata, Heidi and Chelsea, oh and you've already met Felix and Demitri." Jane sounded happier now that she was helping.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The guardroom was a spacious hall that had various activities in each corner. There was a huge flatscreen TV in the centre of the left wall and black leather bean bags in front of it. It seemed more like a goth clubhouse than a guardroom. Thankfully the casual aura in the room set me a little more at ease. Around 20 or so vampires were inside the room conversing with one another. Caius had suggested that I meet them all in the throne room with him accompanying me, but I knew I wouldn't get to know anybody if Caius was there. I wanted to see what they thought of me when the king's weren't around, it was a daunting thought but a necessary one.