Chapter 7 - A Bittersweet Exchange

When we reached Volterra it was around 8pm. I stepped out of the car and was faced by a grand castle. Five round towers rose high above us. The castle was set firm in cobblestone and looked strong despite its obvious age. The towers were connected by enormous walls made of olive yellowstone. I stood there mouth agape hypnotised by the beauty of the scene in front of me. The sky was a shade of purple and blue with a tint of blood orange. It looked like a scene out of a painting. I heard a chuckle behind me and felt a hand snake itself around my waist.

I desperately hoped it was Aro's hand, but turning around I saw Caius. Smiling, I leaned into him as we walked towards the castle. The heavy wooden doors opened as we reached them and I caught sight of our welcoming party. There was a buff and tall vampire that was even bigger Emmett, if that was possible. Next to him stood a shorter and more lean vampire with sharply gelled blonde hair. These two approached us first and bowed. "It is good to finally meet you my queen," the shorter of them spoke. I chuckled awkwardly, not sure what to say, "It's nice to meet you as well..."

"Demitri" he said happily, "oh and this is Felix," the taller dude nodded and smiled. "I am honoured to make your acquaintance my queen," Felix's voice sounded very friendly, contradicting his appearance. "Likewise, and Lyra is fine," the hand around my waist tightened slightly and both vampires nodded.

Looking over I realised that the other 2 couldn't be any older than 16. "You must be Jane and Alec?" It was posed as a question but I was fairly confident. The 2 of them looked shocked, as they hastily bowed.

"Indeed my queen," Alec spoke.

"Aro speaks very highly of you both," I said, shooting a glance towards Aro, who maintained a neutral expression and continued looking forward. Looking back over to the twins, I realised that they were both on the verge of giggling.

"Master's I hate to interrupt, however, there are some important trials that need your attention," Demitri grimaced. Aro nodded whilst Marcus and Caius looked disappointedly. "Jane, would you be so kind as to show Lyra to my room? Alec come with us." Aro posed the question to Jane, however, did not stop to hear her reply. Once Jane nodded, the others all disappeared.

I huffed in annoyance. Aro was beginning to get on my nerves, all I had done was ask a few questions and he was refusing to even look at me. Jane suddenly looked worried, "is something wrong my queen?" I shook my head and patted her on the shoulder, "I'm okay, and you can call me Lyra". She looked over her shoulder and shook her head, "I'm not sure the kings would like that".

"You can call me Lyra when they're not around then," I said, with a cheery demeanour. Jane looked sceptical but agreed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The castle seemed to go on forever. Everytime we passed 5 hallways there would be a circular stairway. We travelled 3 stories up and I couldn't help but feel dizzy everytime we passed a window. Jane was walking at 'human pace' and seemed quite happy with my company. She couldn't have been older than 15 when she was turned, she had platinum blonde hair tied back into a sleek ponytail. Jane had a very innocent and adorable face, but her eyes held a ferocity to them. I don't know why but I really just wanted to give Jane a hug and tell her that everything would be fine. She may have been only 15 but her eyes made her look so much older, there was a distant pain in them.

"Jane, where is your room by the way?" My tone was casual, but Jane looked surprised that I had taken interest in her. "My room is on the 2nd floor with the rest of the elite guard. The 3rd floor is specifically where the kings' rooms are as well as the q... I mean other VIP guests, master Aro often holds grand balls and invites other surrounding coven leaders." Jane looked like she was going to say something but paused.