two

The next morning, Hope's up early helping her father fix his bmw in the drive way. Hope loved handing her father tools while he worked on the car as a kid, they'd spend the day soaking up the sun and eating as much ice pops as they can stomach.
She hasn't done it for a few years, but she's glad he asked her before he asked Steve.

She's sat on a fold up deck chair next to her fathers tool bag, the radio inside is loud enough to be heard from outside. "Thanks for makin an effort last night pumpkin, I really appreciate it"

"Anything for my old man right?" She says before collecting the screwdriver from him and carefully placing it back into the tool box.

"You're a good kid, Hope" he slams the hood down before whipping his hands with the towel that's resting in her shoulder. She gives him a soft smile in return before folding up the chair and putting it back into the garage.

"Any plans for today?" He asks.

"Nah, Wanda's leaving to pick up Pietro up later from the beach house so I'll probably just pop over later to something"

Her father chuckles "pietro?" Her father knew what went on between the pair last summer. God, Pietro was over more times than Wanda last year, not that she ever admitted it to him, he's certainly not stupid.

"It's not like Dad" her cheeks start to burn "not anymore, anyway" she whispers quietly under her breath.

"I'm kidding" he says before parting her on the head. "Well I'll be out today, need to pick up some paint for the fences. Sarah's coming, you'll be okay here today?" He asks.

"Yes dad. I will be okay"

She finishes up cleaning up before heading upstairs and showering, the dirty lake water made her hair feel stiff and she still hasn't had the chance to clean off.
She throws on an old graphic tee and the same shorts from yesterday before applying light makeup.

She tackles her suitcase and finally organizing her clothes. She puts all her clothes onto a hanger and neatly places them in order in her wardrobe. Wonder how long they'll stay this organized. She places all her makeup onto her vanity and hangs up a few Polaroids she kept in her purse, most of them of her and her friend Nat from New York.

Nat was the first and only friend she had in New York. Nat was fearless, everything Hope aspired to be, not to mention absolutely gorgeous. She got Hope invited to parties & encourage her with the most obscure and impulsive decisions. In fact, Nat's the one who convinced Hope to cut her hair off.
Hope wanted a change, needed a change. She was contemplating it but change really scared her, even with something as minor as her hair. Her decision was final when nat told her

"If you don't like it, I'll literally shave my whole head. But I know how hot you'll look so it's not gonna happen, just, don't be a baby. If you want to do it, fuck it. Who cares what anyone else thinks?"

Hope reaches for her phone as she scrolls through social media. Nothing interesting, mostly just beach pictures and graduation photos. Nat's in Dubai for a few weeks with her family. She's sending hope at least 50 pictures of the trip a day, but she can't even complain, it's to die for.

Her fathers already left and Hope can hear Steve downstairs along with a few other voices. She doesn't recognize them, mainly because the tv volume is so loud it's vibrating the whole house.

This is something she'll definitely have to grow to get used to, it's weird, the extra company, sure. But this was Steve's home as much as it was hers now, and it's not like she never has people over.

She opens her window before sitting back on her bed as she reaches for the glass of water on her nightstand. She guzzles the last bit of water before carrying herself towards the bedroom door.