CHAPTER TWENTY

— dare & sandoval lumber co. —

March 11th, 1938

"GISELLE, YOU'RE BACK!" Marguerite exclaimed as Giselle stepped in from the back door. She looked behind Giselle, as if searching for something. "Did Selene come with you?"

Giselle shook her head right as Dorothy shouted from Marguerite's arms, leaning away from her cousin with outstretched arms towards Giselle. "Hold!"

Giselle set her suitcase down and scooped Dorothy up, lifting the little girl and twirling her around to illicit giggles before hugging her to her chest. "Geez, Dorothy, you're getting so big!"

"She's hit a growth spurt since you've been gone," Marguerite said. "And has started talking more."

"Is that right, Dorothy?" Giselle asked.

"No," Dorothy replied, eyebrows drawn low in seriousness.

"Oh, Ellie, I'm so glad you're back!" Marguerite said. "It's been dreadfully boring without you. I have so much to tell you! "

"Sounds great," Giselle deadpanned playfully. "So, where's everyone at?" she asked, hosting Dorothy up higher on her hip.

"School and work," Marguerite answered. "Dorothy was just about to be put down for a nap."

"No!" Dorothy protested. She laid her head down on Giselle's shoulder, wrapping her stubby arms around her neck. "Ellie!"

Giselle and Marguerite made eye contact, both amused by the little girl. "I'll handle it," Giselle said, spinning around and heading upstairs to Dorothy's room. "Alright, Dorothy-girl, how about we lay down and I tell you some stories, yeah?"

"Yeah," Dorothy agreed after a long yawn.

Giselle laid Dorothy in bed after entering the room, tucking the toddler under the covers before closing the curtains. She laid next to Dorothy, snuggling up to her as she began spouting off stories she remembered from her childhood.

Eventually, the little girl's yawns became more and more frequent until they ceased with sleep.

Giselle carefully eased out of the bed, tiptoeing out of the room and turning around to gently shut the door. She was halfway through shutting it when the sound of the doorbell rang through the house, threatening to undo all of her hard work.

She quickly poked her head into the room, sighing in relief when she saw that Dorothy was still sleeping peacefully. She pulled back and shut the door the rest of the way before spinning on one heel and heading towards the front door.

"Hi," a man said once she opened the door, his eyes looking her over in interest.

Giselle took a turn doing the same to him. He was an attractive man, probably around Will's age, with golden blond hair parted and slicked back, and a three piece dark blue suit that matched his eyes.

"Hmm. I didn't know William had a guest over," he stated, though he looked quite pleased that that was the case.

"Oh, I'm Giselle," she told him, holding out her hand. He took it, but surprised her by turning it over and bringing it to his lips. Of course, she blushed at the intimate gesture. "You seem like a charmer," she commented, smiling.

He let go of her hand. "Only when beautiful American women are around."

She shook her head at the comment, deeply flattered. "What, may I ask, are you here for?"

"Well—"

"Is that Steven I hear?" Marguerite asked, coming to a stop next to Giselle. "Hello, Steven," she greeted. "Is there something you need? Come in." Giselle moved aside, letting this 'Steven' enter the house before she shut the door.