CHAPTER FOURTEEN

— music from the future —

September 23rd, 1937

AS IF THE tree was trying to make up for only allowing her two days in 1937, it called her back a week and two days later.

Coincidentally, she was making herself a sandwich for dinner when she felt the call, and briefly wondered if her making sandwiches was the trigger.

She went through the same motions she did the last time she was called—informed Hester, fed Ajay another phony lie about having to go to America to visit her sick grandma, texted Patricia with the truth, assembled her suitcase, and then took off.

Except this time, she had a few more things piled into her suitcase than when she had left.

She clutched the handle of her suitcase a little tighter as a burst of excitement launched her towards the manor.

The lights were on, and she could see Will's and Selene's heads through the dining room window.

As soon as she entered the house, the smell of roast and potatoes happily greeted her. She followed the scent to the dining room, where a full spread of food lined the table, and seven sets of eyes landed on her.

"Ellie!" Barbara was the first to exclaim, rushing out of her chair in an unladylike fashion in order to rush over to Giselle. The young girl wrapped her arms around Giselle's waist and squeezed. "You're back so early!"

Albert jumped out of his seat in a similar manner to his sister, coming to a stop in front of them. "Did you bring us any presents from America?!" he asked, eyes wide with excitement as he stared up at her.

Giselle smirked. "Maybe, maybe not, it all depends on if you've been good."

Marguerite breathed out a laugh. "That's a firm 'no' for you, Al."

Albert turned around to glare at his older cousin. "I already told Barb I was sorry like Will asked!"

"That doesn't acquit you from throwing mud at her right before church," Will chimed in.

"Giselle, why don't you come sit," Selene suggested. "I'll go fetch you a plate."

Giselle sat in the spot next to Barbara, and was forced to listen to Albert and Barbara happily tell her all about their time at school and other small things that she had missed when she was away.

Selene eventually returned with a plate and Giselle helped herself to as much roast and potatoes as her stomach will allow, all while bubbling with excitement.

Once everyone was finished and the kids and Selene cleaned and put up food as Marguerite put Dorothy down for bed, Giselle skipped over to her suitcase and pulled out the oval-shaped radio she had found in Hester's storage closet.

"What on earth is that contraption?" Will asked from behind her. He stood by the liquor cabinet, pouring himself a glass of brandy.

"You'll see." Giselle moved over to the outlet in the living room, setting it onto one of the end tables by the couch. She made sure it was working properly before digging around in her suitcase for the CDs she brought.

She decided on putting in The Best of the 50s & 60s CD rather than the Top Hits of the 80s—something told her that she should work her way up to that one.

"What's that?" Albert inquired as he strolled up to Giselle, peering down at the strange machine oddly. "Is that from America?"

Giselle nodded. "Yes. It's a radio."