firefly | damien & freelancer |

"I didn't know where else to go."

The Freelancer breathes heavily, leaning against the doorpost as Damien opens the door, eyes raking frantically over their exhausted figure. His stomach twisted and whirled with worry as tears threaten to spill from their glassy eyes, they bite their lip - forcing themselves to calm down.

"What...what happened? Are you alright?" Damien hastily guides them in, closing the door as he leads their shaking form toward the sofa, gently seating them near the heater.

"It's, it's stupid" They mumble, wiping their reddened eyes with the corners of their sleeve, avoiding looking the fire elemental in the eye. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have-

"Hey..." Damien tentatively reaches out, caressing their left cheek and wiping away their tears with his thumb. His voice sounds gentler, softer than they've ever heard it. He sighs with relief when they lean into his touch, eventually resting their head on his shoulder.

"Whatever it is, it's not stupid if it's got you this upset." Damien chose his words carefully, not wanting to poke and prod around things that could upset them further. "We don't have to talk about it, I can order us pizza and we can cuddle, just like this for however long you'd like."

The freelancer looks up at him, surprised. "No, I wouldn't want to intrude, I'm just being silly...."

Damien scoffs, "Firefly, you're not intruding and you aren't being silly. Whatever's got you like this, I want to help. I want to be the one that makes you smile, especially if you've had a bad day. Will you let me?"

They slowly nodded, a small smile tugging at their lips as Damien presses a light kiss to their forehead. "Thank you."

"Anytime, firefly." And he means it, he'll always help them, through the bad times and the good.