deep end | angel & david |

INVERSION AU!

Angel ran as fast as their legs would take them, diving and weaving their way through the crowd of terrified people. It doesn't matter how badly their legs ache or how little breath they have - they have to find him.

They have to find their mate. Now.

Angel spots the silhouette of a shade ahead of them, with little to no time to react, Angel bolts to the right, avoiding the fires set alight and dodging the mini tornados made in a bid to slow the shades down, to no avail as they effortlessly pass through them.

They sprint into a narrow pathway, leaning against the brick wall to prevent their legs from giving out. Angel kept their eyes on the opening, weary of any shades that might have sensed them.

Their eyes dart around their surroundings, soon falling onto what appears to be a staircase. Angel jogs toward it, intent on heading up them only to be jerked back as an arm wraps around their waist, pulling them toward the figure.

Angel tenses but their muscles soon fall. They recognise this scent. They know this scent.

"Davey?" Angel leans into his touch as he pulls them into a small room, locking the door behind him. He's half shifted, looking down at them with worried - regretful eyes. He should have never brought them here.

"I'm here, nothing's going to hurt you, I swear." He caresses their cheek, his eyes scan their trembling body for any wounds or gashes.

"Are you alright? Are you hurt? Where's Ash and Milo? And everyone else..."

"Ash and Milo are heading to the control both as we speak. I-I haven't heard from anyone else."

"Where did these things even come from...?" Angel asks, barely getting their breath back.

"I don't know but we'll have a better idea once we're in the control booth." David claps their hand, his free one hovers over the door handle. It's now or never. "Stay behind me and whatever you do, don't let go, okay?" His soft voice soothes Angel as he moves to open the door.

"David?"

He turns to face them, keeping his hand on the door handle. "Yes?"

Angel stands on their tiptoes, pressing a gentle kiss to his lips, cupping his cheek as he deepens it. Despite the screaming, fear, and chaos, they feel safe right now. They feel at home. That's why they'll survive this.

No matter what.