soft words | david & darlin |

As soon as the words left their lips, Darlin instantly regretted them. They cast their gaze to the floor, gently kicking their feet as silence settles over them and David - who is yet to say anything. He parts his lips, about to say something in response to Darlin's frantic confession - only for them to get there first.

"Don't tell me," Darlin whispers, turning away - biting their lip. "I already know...I just needed to get that off my chest." Darlin sighs, leaning back against the counter. "I shouldn't have said anything, I'm sorry."

As they turn to leave, desperate not to look at the shock on their Alpha's face, David reaches out, gently grabbing their wrist, and massaging it with his thumb. "Hey...calm down." His voice is softer, a tone Darlin has only heard whenever they were alone. "Sit down, please?"

Darlin relents, knowing that running isn't always an option and right now, they didn't feel like it either.

"I honestly shouldn't have said anything, please just forget about it-

"Forget about it?" David interrupts, still holding their hand despite it mildly trembling in his grip. "Why would I want to do that?"

Darlin hesitates, blinking back tears. They had managed to keep how they feel about David a secret for years, why did they have to go and blurt it out now? "You...you don't feel the same. Why would you? I'm reckless and stupid, I've put the pack in danger..."

Darlin trails off, slightly bowing their head but quietly gasping when David's fingers curl under their chin, tilting it upward so they're looking him in the eye, rather than the ground. "Yes." He begins and Darlin feels the pit of worry in their stomach grow.

"You are reckless and impulsive but you know what?" David's fingers lightly trace the line of Darlin's jaw, soon caressing their cheek, drying the tears slowly spilling from their glossy eyes. "I wouldn't want you any other way. You're brave, you don't go down without a fight...that's what I love about you."

"Love?"

"I love you, alright? I have done it for a while but...I just didn't know how to say it. Nor did I know if you ever felt the same. So I didn't say anything."

"David..." Darlin mumbles. "You don't have to say it just because I said it."

David chuckles, taking their hands in his. "God, you're stubborn. No, I'm not saying it just because you said it. I love you and I mean it, that's why I'm going to help you with Quinn. Okay?"

A small smile graces their lips and David feels his heart soar. "Okay..."