Chapter 4: DIN

Sylis opened his blue-green eyes. He could hear birds chirping behind him. A girl was giggling. Oil was being cooked with as it boiled. The sound of life surrounded him and that was a sound that he soldem woke up to.

Sylis popped up on the bed as if he was a kid who had just woke up from a distasteful nightmare. His eyes scanned the room, Lilin was in the kitchen cooking while Piper was with her. The girl was probably on a step stool because Sylis could see her over the dining table and the kitchen counters.

Lilin Cozbi turned to him with a spatula on her hand. "Oh, you're awake," she greeted him with a smile. Sylis moved the blanket off him and walked over to the two females. "Piper and I decided to make some pancakes for you."

"Mama!" Piper yelled. Lilin turned to her daughter who pointed to the stove. She quickly put the spatula to good use and flipped the burning pancake. The word made Sylis remember that Piper had talked before. The first time he saw her she said the same word, 'mama'. But she also could hear her giggling just then.

Sylis was cut off from his thoughts as Lilin placed a plate of pancakes in his hands. "Place this on the table while Piper and I set the table and get the condiments." Sylis walked to the table without saying a word. He placed the plate down and sat down. There were four chairs with the table.

Soon Lilin came with three additional plates and she placed them down. Two in front of empty chairs and the final one in front of Sylis. The woman then went back to help her daughter. The two females came and placed silverware and simple condiments acceptable for the meal in front of them.

They all were sitting down now. "When are we going to talk about arrangements?" Sylis insured without a form of transition.

"Though today is tomorrow, we will talk about that later today," Lilin said as she cut into Piper's pancake. Piper patiently waited for her mother to cut it for her as she looked at Sylis. She looked like she was concentrating on something very hard. Her mouth was thinner and her eyes were more horizontal than normal.

After Lilin was done the two adults began to start with their own meals. Piper had decorated her pancake with syrup and blueberries, Lilin placed both blueberries and strawberries on her food, and Sylis simply had butter with his meal.

The morning sun shined through the balcony window as the floor length curtains billowed in the zephyr. "Are you excited?" Lilin asked. Sylis turned his head. "We are going to walk to Sylis' house."

"Walk to?" Sylis questioned. When the three of them walked to the Cozbis' house he didn't question it that much because the apartment was relatively close to the detective agency. "My house is...in the countryside. It would be much easier if we walked back to my car and drove there instead."

***

The drive in Sylis' black Aston Martin was a short one as he drove through the countryside. The trees and shrubbery became meer blurs. The morning sunlight created dark silhouettes of the vegetation only leaving the colors to be seen if one could focus close enough.

When they finall reached their detanation Lilin and Piper marveloused at the house. It was a major upgrade than their current apartment. The whole building was placed in the middle of the forrest. The trees casted pretty shadows on the lined lawned. Lights lined up the gate entrance and could be seen on the sides of all the pathways.

Sylis stopped at the gate and was quickly let in as the automated door magically opened at the sound of his voice. "Sylis Penn Youngblood," he said with a monotone voice into what appeared to be a box shaped device on one of the pillars that was connected to the gate. Sylis drove down to the garage which was not connected to the main house, but a separate building to the side.

He got outside of his car, but didn't bother opening the doors for the other two. He seemed to not pay much attention to his guests. "Don't touch anything," was the only thing he said to them before he led them to his house.

The house itself was modern with the basic boxy shape, but with overhangs and parts that outlined the house. He walked to the simple stairs that were a part of the base the house sat upon. Lilin looked at everything with awe and it was apparent that she had never been to such a lavious place before. "Come in," he ordered.

The adults went to the dining room which had an interesting light fixture installed above it. Lilin looked aroun before fucoing his attention at Sylis. "Lovely house you have," she said.

"About the arrangement," Sylis inquired.

"So you want to know," Lilin said, the same smile growing on her face. Sylis' mouth twitched a little, but only the keenest of eyes would have noticed. She took Mr. Youngblood's silence as a continuance. "Well, as I have stated before in the contract you most be with us until this whole ordeal with my ex is through with your detective/law agency." She paused and looked at Sylis' teal eyes. The man had yet to change or really fix himself, so his clothes were a little riled and his hair was a tad messy with bedhead. "So I have a proposition that I think will benefit us both."

Sylis was only interested in what she was going to say, because he didn't want to take this case. He wanted her gone. At first she was nobody to him, but now she had begun to annoy him. "Let me hear it."

"Since this is a case regarding the safety of my family from my ex, I propose that you and I pretend to be married or at the very least betrothed." Sylis was speechless. Fake a marriage? How would that help anything? Also the idea itself is insane in its own right. Lilin continued her proposition with an explanation of sorts. "If we pretend that we are married then that gives the excuse for being together with us everywhere we three go. Plus my ex will probally bac off as well. You're strong and you can take care of us, and it's not like you can't not help us because we signed a contract with you." Lilin smiled her shit-eating grin.

Sylis stood up, making that chair scratch adinst the wooden floor. His hands remained on the marble table top as he took in a deep breath. "You've done things more difficult than this," he thought to himself and it was technically true. "Surely this will be nothing more than a simple task based on your training?" But he was never trained to take care of living beings, and wouldn't be prepared to take on this conflict.

"I agree with the conditions and will play the part," he extended his hand. Lilin stood up and shook it, informally solidifying the agree that they had already formally signed.

"I'll help you pack," Lilin offered as ylis began to walk away.

"No need," was all he said, when he heard a sound. The sound of a gun going off.