Chapter 26: REALIZATION

The bullet casing from Lilin's mystery attackers was 9mm. The shadow killer's bullets were also 9mm. Now 9mm bullets were everywhere in the world and were one of the most popular and used sizes of bullet, but why was Oliver dead then? It could not be a coincidence, Sylis would never believe it.

Sylis regained his thoughts and stomach as he walked to Das. "What is it?"

Das just pointed at the inside of the mirror cabinet. Tapped inside was another piece of paper, but this was not a normal one. It was a ticket, a ticket to Berlin for the 13th.

Sylis quickly took off the tape, not damaging the important piece of paper at the same time. The time of the ticket was late in the day, 11:30 PM. He didn't know where his family was, but he knew where they were going to be, and they invited him personally with this ticket in case he wanted to come with him.

This made him gleeful that the bullet had almost slipped out of his mind, but before her forgot he told Das, "I'm pretty sure that the shadow killer is the same person who has tried and is currently trying to kill my wife and child."

"How do you know?"

Sylis placed the bullet casing into one of Das' hands. "I know that it is not properly evidenced but take it to the lab and compare it with the other bullet you found."

And with that, Sylis sped walked out of apartment 49B.

Das held the bullet casing in his hand and looked at it with such surprise that he did not immediately realize that his boss had left the bathroom. He quickly pocketed the bullet and jogged after Sylis. His suit softly blew in the zephyr. "Where are you going?"

Sylis opened the door and looked back at Das who had caught up to the man. He took a step back to give his boss some personal room. "I don't know, but my family is still in danger and I'm going to do whatever I can to find them." Sylis turned around, his shoes producing loud thuds as he walked off. "For that is my promise."

He didn't know where he was going.

Where would he go anyway?

What could he expect but wait?

Sylis entered his car and drove off back to his house. The ticket was stored away safely in his pocket. As if the world was able to read his inner heart, it started raining.

He walked to his empty mansion. The droplets slowly soaked his teal suit, making it darker and header with each tear. It was fitting for his current emotion. He let them fall down his face, acting as tears that he couldn't cry on his own. It had been years since he had last cried.

It was in Berlin.

It was for Mither.

Sylis wiped the incoming rain from his face and dashed it to the lawn along with the depressing memory.

When Sylis entered the house and shed the dripping outer coat and hung it on a hook. His shoes kept on, but he would have to change. As Sylis walked, his shoes tweaked and echoed throughout the empty house. It only reminded him of how alone he was.

How would Lilin react to seeing me like this? Would she laugh at me? Would she give me one of her signature smiles? Would we go outside and play in the rain with Piper?

Piper. His little peanut. A nut that wasn't actually a nut, confused as one. She was different from all the rest. She was a telepath.

Piper? Peanut, are you there?

He sat down at his home office with a clean pair of clothes. We waited for a response. For anything that resembled his daughter's voice, but nothing came.

Maybe I need to think about them? Piper responded to emotion so maybe she would respond to happiness. Little did he think—since he was so distracted—that his sadness was so deep and in truth, it took almost everything for Piper not to contact him, but she was following her mother's instruction. He might have been her Peanut Papa, but her mother was the one who was her constant. She had always been with her and would kill anyone that got in her way.

Sylis closed his eyes and laid back in his office chair. It did not recline back, but he tried to get comfortable. His fingers found his ring as it caressed the shining gemstones.

The past: Berlin. She was from Berlin Germany. She has lived through the war. She was like him in that aspect. They were both survivors of that bombing, and yet they choose different jobs. Sylis tried to imagine his life if he had chosen to kill for a living. Yes, his job did involve some death, but he only struck to injury and not kill.

The present: He was alone at that moment, but he tried to remember the pleasant memories they shared. The Peanut Shoppe, the water fountain, and the. He didn't realize it then but know that he was being retrospective. That was the first time in a long time that he felt as though he belonged in something. He would always seclude himself in his work office and he rarely left his house, but Lilin didn't let him go home or to work until that fateful day...

Sylis sighed as he opened his eyes, sitting up straight. Nothing happened. He heard nothing. Nothingness echoed around his house.

The future: the future was unknown, but he knew that Lilin was going to back to Berlin, Germany at 11:30 tonight. He was going to find her whether that be before 11:30 or at. He would find her and Piper—alive.

His thoughts were distracted by the sound of a phone ringing.