Chapter 19: DREAMS

Sylis Penn Youngblood pulled up to his house—a place he had not gone for a few days. It had been the house that he had since moving from Germany. For years it had been a place of comfort and stability in his line of work, but as he parked the car, it felt empty.

As he crossed the vehicle his memories brought back one from the past week: little Piper running to the car, excited to go to that one peanut shoppe. He smiled then frown as it was the past and he would probably never see her ever again.

Sylis took a deep breath and then began the trek to his house.

He placed his briefcase on the tile making a noise that echoed throughout the mansion. It was the closest thing to a conversation. He was going to put away his things, but they didn't seem that important anymore.

Re-taking his case, Sylis began to walk down the hall. His blue eyes glazed over the dining room. As he went up the staircase to his bedroom he could hear the faint sound of running footsteps, but he knew it was just his imagination.

His bedroom doors lay before him and he opened them both. Nothing had changed since that day. The Glassdoor leading to the balcony was still shattered and the closet door was still open.

Sylis walked to his bed, placing his briefcase down and laying on the soft material. He closed his eyes and let the world and all of its problems disappear from his mind.

They swayed to the beat of the music. Every step they took would leave an imprint on the light Frey surface as it ripple under their feet. Like a light rain, the two dance, clad as a matching pair. White, white suit, white dress.

Then it drops.

Rain hits them like bullets and Sylis is pulled by Lilin into a dance he does not wish to partake in. Their movements are rapid as they make even bigger ripples. Sylis looks around, he's in Germany. The walls could crumble at the touch. The music has been replaced with the screaming of people.

Sylis looks back at Lilin, but she isn't there anymore, no, she has been replaced by two little girls. Both with pale populations, black hair, and matching red eyes.

"Lilin, I'm hungry..." She grabbed at her stomach and squeezed her eyes.

"It's okay, Lilith, maybe this man will give us some food." Lilin walked over casually as if she wasn't going to do anything from him then quickly pickpocketed some imaginary thing from his pocket.

She returned to her younger sister with a price of bread. "Eat," she commanded and the two partook of the snack of a meal.

Sylis turned around went he heard another voice. "Papa." Piper stood amidst the screaming people as she whispered towards him with her mouth. Somehow he could hear her. "You hurt Mama."

Sylis felt himself being pulled by his environment toward Piper. "Mama is very sad."

Her eyes began to glow with emotion. "Mama is going to die."

"You killed Mama!" He stopped right in front of her, her voice now a whisper as she said, "You were supposed to protect us." She tried to hug his legs but her arms just went through.

Sylis' blue eyes widened, then glared at her. "Get out." He had to be harsh with her. She had the power of telepathy on her side and God only knows what her full power is. "Get out of my head!"

He tried to stomp away, but the water-like substance had returned and his feet had sunken in; Piper floated. "Remember and help us."

She disappeared from his mind as he blinked and when he opened them adult Lilin was in his arms. Music began to play in a soft beat as they box danced slowly spinning in circles. No matter how hard Sylis tried to remove his arms he couldn't, she was too dazzling. She looked as pure as an angel.

Lilin dipped herself and Sylis caught her. They stared at each other unto Lilin wrapped her arms around his neck and they both leaned forward.

The teal covers flew from his bed like a wave as Sylis woke up. Sweat drenched his body, his breathing was layered, and he really needed to go take care of some business. He went into the bathroom.

Now that, that was over he could focus more on his dream. He remembered it distinctly but tried not to think about the grey rain room. Piper had infiltrated his dream he was sure of it. What could this child not do? She told him...

He turned away from no one, but it felt as though he had stopped the pretend conversation. He didn't want to acknowledge what he would be doing now that he walked away from the assassin and her telepathic daughter.

Would she truly die?

No, stop. He shook his head, but he couldn't trust his thoughts. Were they his own or were they Piper's?

He stood up from his bedside. Today was the weekend so he didn't have to go to work, but Shadow was still out there. He got dressed in his usual outfit and walked downstairs to his home office, grabbing his case and sitting down on the leather seat.

First, he would have to find the man or woman. Then he would have to catch and probably kill them. They were a danger to the people and more importantly, himself. A killer knowing his true identity was far too much for him to take and thus he had to kill whoever was the shadow.

Where would he start?

Sylis took out his laptop, placed it on his wooden desk, and began typing.