Chapter 18: LETTER

When Lilin came home with her black killing dress all bloody from another 'client' she wasn't greeted by a cheerful daughter happy to see her mama safe and alive, but instead a sobbing child. It reminded the woman of her childhood back in Germany when she had to see her sister cry a lot in the early days.

Lilin dropped down to her knees and hugged her child as tight as she could. She cried for her little girl.

The two stayed this for a little while just crying together until the mother heard a faint "He knows everything" come from her daughter. Lilin, who had her hands on Piper's shoulders, pushed her arm straight making the pair see each other's dead face features.

"He knows..." her family, her career, her secrets, her life, her "...everything."

Piper nodded a grieving nod. "Pap—" Could the little girl even call Sylis that anymore? She knew that it was all a lie. She was the one who used telepathy to trick him into signing the contract even if she really didn't want to. But the man had been so loving towards her and by now she could read his memories—see his past—and see how he was as lonely as she was, as they all were. Surely if he gave so much up he deserves the title. "Peanut papa left this for you."

Piper scampered away to her room and then ran into the room bearing an envelope. It was a normal white one, one that someone would get all the time, but this one had a very distinct symbol on it. It was the Sylis' symbol. His initials were surrounded by two circles the outer one was thicker mimicking a magnify glass or spyglass

Lilin adjusted her position so it was more comfortable to sit on the hard floor. Taking the envelope from her daughter she slowly tore up the envelope with her slight bloody dagger. The white paper was slightly stained red. Lilin placed the knife on the ground and plucked the letter out of its case. Her fingers flipped open the trifold letter to read its contents:

"Dear Lilin and Piper Cozbi,

I am writing to you from my office. I am assuming that Piper has told you, but I know everything now. Knowing this, I cannot continue with the contract and thus I have terminated it. The document is with you now. I hope that you live your life to the fullest and that you really consider a change of career.

-Sincerely,
Sylis Penn Youngblood"

Lilin looked at the letter for a moment more before placing it on the floor and taking out the contract. It was now nothing more than a useless piece of paper. A hiccup left Lilin's lips.

Then another one.

Her hands covered her face as she sobbed and wailed.

The two sat on the ground mourning the loss of Sylis. They lost a father figure, a falsehood of a husband, and their protector from the assassin trying to kill them.

The 'ex' would be coming to kill them any time soon and Lilin didn't believe that she could take on such a powerful foe.

***

It was a dark night when they were first attacked.

Lilin and Piper we're walking home from the Peanut Shoppe. Piper had a bright smile as she always wore when she had a bag of peanuts. It was their little secret that only a few choice persons knew mainly Lilin's sister and "Old Papa" Oliver. You see, peanuts are not nuts like you would think because of their name. Peanuts are actually being to the Ligament family. You can tell a lot about someone based on what their favorite kind of nut is.

Though, Piper's smile quickly changed when the sound of a bullet fighting sounded from behind them.

Lilin held tight to Piper's wrist as she rounded the nearby alleyway. The bag flew into the air, spraying peanuts all over the pavement and road. Lilin's eyes squinted in anger.

"It's not fair to use a gun on someone defenseless." Lilin somersaulted then flipped herself in a floor spin. When she was at the right angle she kicked up with her feet and flipped right side up. The kick was supposed to knock the gun out of the guy's hand, but he held firm. Lilin pouted, her shallow breaths coming quick, but made sure not to show it to her enemy.

He shot twice at her which she dodged them both with moves that could be described as graceful and dance-like.

Lilin swung another kick, but at this time it was at the man's stomach. He grabbed union her leg as it flew towards him and he flipped her unto the floor as she grasped.

Piper—who was still in the alley—watched with tears in her face as her mother got beaten by the man. The man hit her with the gun taunting the woman as she tried to get away from him. "You're so weak. You are all bark and no bite. I don't know how no one has killed you yet."

Lilin covered her head—the most important part of the body to protect—when her Saviour came to her aid.

"Hey, stop that!"

Oliver ran over to the small group bearing his cane. Midway he held it horizontally and popped out the bottom, then he pulled out the shelter of the came and reveal his hidden sword.

With the man distracted by the spectacle, Lilin wriggled herself out of the man's grip as Oliver swung at the attacker.

The man quickly realized that it was better to leave and ran away through the alley that Piper was in. He yelled, "I'll get you and your little man too!"

All was silent as Lilin caught her breath. Oliver rushed to her aid and saw the many bruises and lacerations that lined her face. Her breathing was short and ragged, but she managed to call out a name. "Piper!"

She tried to get up but ended up falling then trying to herself into the alley. Oliver softly pushed Lilin to the ground. "Rest, you need rest."

"Mama, I'm okay."

Lilin gasped as she heard her daughter's voice. "Come to Mama, Piper. Please come to me."

Slowly the little girl walked over there and she went down on her knees. "Mama is not okay."

"No, Mama is just acting. You know that Mama is a great actress, right?" She tried to calm down her child, but no amount of 'acting' would remove the blood and bruises.

"Okay."

Lilin looked at Oliver. "Help me."

Oliver shook his head. "I cannot help you. I am but an old man; you need someone else to protect you know." He slide the showed back into its cane exterior case. Lilin slides herself over to a wall with the help of her daughter.

Oliver turned around to face her. "But I do know someone..."