Chapter 10: RING

The store was white and modern on the inside reminding Sylis a little bit of his home (though his house contained more brown using wood). Everything in the store had smoothed corners including the glass boxes on top of the tables and counters. Flowers added liminal life into the shop into glass vases litter admits the boxes.

Lilin and two workers were the only ones in the store. They all turned their eyes towards him went he entered. Sylis felt as if he had regressed back into his seldom school days where he was the black sheep in the community. He was gifted, but not welcomed among the children. He never thought he was better than them, besides they had a father and he didn't.

After feeling a tug at his hand, Sylis snapped out of the memory. "Is this your husband?" One of the workers asked. There were two, a female and a male. The woman was the one talking; the male looked more like security if ever someone dared try to steal a piece of jewelry.

Sylis walked over to them being led by Piper. "Yes, but we aren't married."

"Yet," Lilin added, dotting the air as if his sentence was writing in the clouds and the gesture had counties the sentence.

"Ah, I see. Do you both want to look at our matching rings?"

"Yes, we do," Lilin said, sending a smile over to Sylis. He followed suit. The woman lead the couple over to a side of the elongated glass box that had many coupled rings.

"I'll leave you to look at these, if you find a pair that you like or want to try something different you can just ask me. I'll be waiting over here." Sylis and Lilin nodded their heads.

Lilin whispered, "Piper, can you—"

"He already knows," she interjected. "If you want privacy I can make a secret con...uh I forget the word...for you."

"It's called a secret conversation also known as Psychic Communication. You will learn," Lilin said. Piper closed her eyes, then opened them giving the adults a thumbs up. "I don't really do this, but now that Piper has set up the Psychic Communication we can talk without having to open our mouths. You probably see Piper do this all the time since she rarely physically talks." Lilin paused. "Thank you for taking care of Piper. I wanted to make this a surprise for you. I guess it's not the best choice." She didn't open her mouth once while talking.

"So I just think the words I want to say?" Sylis asked. His eyes were wide mesmerized as to how his surprise since they were being watched.

"Yup, just like that, but let's look at the rings. I think they are growing suspicious since to them we look like we are just staring at each other," Lilin explained.

Sylis did as was suggested and looked down at the ring case. "Can I talk to Piper through this secret conversation?"

Lilin had her hand just above the glass to not smoke it. "No, but she can talk to you. Psychic Communication only allows two people to be heard by each other through telepathy. If you want to talk to my daughter then just whisper to her. Also, we should talk about the rings using our voices and not just thinking about them."

"You know a lot about telepaths and telepathy. Do you have it too?"

Lilin couldn't help but laugh out loud which only drew more attention to them. Piper joined in with her own quiet laughter.

"What's so funny?" Sylis said out loud, though he also forgot to use his voice.

"Nothing, it's just." Lilin took in a few breaths to calm herself. She shook her head. "No. Let's focus on buying rings." She whispered, "We can talk about that later."

Sylis looked closely at the rings. Many of them were questionable for wedding rings and looked more like the cheap friendship bracelets or necklaces that children would buy for their friends. They had a pattern, the female ring (which had a smaller bandwidth) would have a symbol where the dim and would normally be placed. For one example there was a simple heart with a small gemstone inside of it. The male ring (which had a band around three times the width of the female) would have a hole the same shape as the female ring. There was a heart-size hole in the matching ring that looked like it fit the female ring's heart.

Sylis didn't like those rings even though he had never been ring shopping ever in his life. "I like this one," was said not by Lilin, but by Piper.

"Which one?" Lilin asked as Sylis grabbed the small girl and held her above the glass box so they could all see what she was looking at.

"This one." Piper pointed to a pair of rings that looked more regal and had actually diamonds (or three in this case) instead of some dumb symbol. Sylis had the money to but whatever he wanted so money would not be a problem.

Lilin took a closer look at the pair her child had picked out. "Oh, those are so cute. The diamonds make a great touch." The ring bands were silver. (The color of mystic visions, psychic abilities, and most importantly hope.) The female ring had three diamonds placed on it together in a small bunch. It symbolized the past, present, and future of the wear's relationship with their partner. The male ring was much simpler being an infinity ring (a ring that has diamonds encircling the middle of the ring) of the same type of diamond as its female partner.

The female attendant came to their side from across the counter. "Do you want to try them on? What sizes are you all? Do you need me to get a size chart?"

"Yes."

The lady came back with the size chart and they found their sizes. "So this one for the lady and this one for the man?" she asked not really thinking about her question, but saying it out of respect. But then she said something that didn't quite make sense to Sylis at the time. "No?"

No one had said no, but yet she has heard it. Sylis gave Likin and quizzical look but she only smiled and looked at her daughter. "What do you want us to do then?"

The revelation came quotes and Sylis gave a curt laugh that he didn't realize it sooner. Piper had just spoken directly into the lady's mind. He had seen the girl do it right in front of him the day that the Cozbi's came to his office. It was all clicking into place now.

This time, Piper spoke out loud for everyone to hear. "Papa should get the diamond ring and Mama should get the other ring because Papa is resourceful and Mama is tough."

The attendant looked at Lilin and Sylis who only nodded their heads. In Sylis' mind, these were just fake rings and thus they didn't matter. They didn't solidify him unto Lilin like they were married. Once the mission was over, he would be free of them, so who cares if he was going a wear a female, dainty ring?

Piper frowned.

Sylis paid for the rest of the rings and they left the store wearing rings on their left hands.