20: The Core

A few weeks ago.

"The core?" All Might lifted an eyebrow.

"The core," Izuku nodded.

"Wait, let me get this straight," All Might set down his tea on his office table, "you want to awaken the quirks of previous users by looking for the... core of One For All?"

Izuku rolled his hand into a fist, "If I can awaken the other quirks, I can become stronger, and less people will get hurt when the fight with All For One comes."

"But finding the core, is that even possible? Does that exist?"

"I'm sure it's there. The previous holders mentioned it once or twice, and... how do I explain this... There's this room. A realm, inside One For All, where all the previous holders gather their power. It's just a subconscious manifestation but..."

"Halt," All Might held up a hand and Izuku's mouth froze mid-word.

"Please slow down and calmly tell me the information without muttering, please."

"Oh, sorry," Izuku rubbed his neck in embarrassment and took a deep breath.

"The nature of One For All is stockpiling power," the boy reasoned, "and the conference room where the users gather proves that the quirk has some sort of center where all the power, all the quirks, and all the users' consciousnesses are merged."

"... So you think that every time we use One For All, the power comes from a concentrated core?"

Izuku nodded.

All Might gazed at his tea thoughtfully. "It makes sense, but how are you going to find the core? It's can't possibly be a physical location in your body."

"No, but I've used the other quirks before. I know how it feels. I'm gonna try forcibly awakening them," green lightning gathered around Izuku's body, "I just need to trace back and find the source of this power."

"Is it working so far?" All Might asked.

"I've tried meditating, practicing with my quirk, but... Not really."

The hero sighed.

"Don't search for the source of the quirk's power," All Might placed a bony hand on the boy's shoulder, then chuckled, "I have no idea what's going on in your crazy head, but what I do know is that you must search for the source of your own power. When you've found what drives you, you'll find the quirks and the core you're looking for."

•••

"WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THAT??!!!! Eraser, please explain!"

"You're destroying my ears, Mic," Aizawa muttered at the blond next to him, but he was equally as shocked at the sight.

The crowd had mixed reactions. Most gasped in surprise and awe. Many cheered in excitement at the new turn of events. Some shouts of fear could be heard.

In the little corner where class 1-A sat, the students stared at the scene, jaws open and eyes wide.

Bakugo stood up from his seat.

Uraraka's hands covered her mouth.

Todoroki sat up straighter.

In a corridor at ground level, All Might peered at his successor.

"Holy..." The hero breathed, "You did not prepare me for this, young Midoriya."

A hurricane of black whip-like tendrils lashed and flurried and exploded around the green-haired boy.

Midoriya blinked a few times and stumbled, "What the...HOLY FREAKING SHIT!!!" His eyes flew wide open in shock at the black tendrils around him.

Then the pain registered. Izuku crumpled to the ground as his veins burned and Blackwhip tore through his right hand.