27: Foresight

Sir Nighteye held his head and crumpled to the floor with a groan.

"Sir!" Izuku stopped his quirk and raced to the hero, "What happened? Are you ok?!"

Nighteye took a couple of deep breaths, his palm still pressed against his temple. He blinked open his eyes, and Izuku watched as the purple glow of the hero's foresight quirk faded.

"Who... Who are you?" Sir Nighteye glowered at Izuku.

"Sir... What do you mean? I'm Midoriya --"

"No, you know what I mean." Sir Nighteye pushed himself back up to his feet. "Your timeline. It's a mess. How is that possible? What happened to you, and who are you?"

"My...timeline," Izuku's chest felt cold.

Sir Nighteye must've used his foresight quirk on Izuku right before they started fighting.

"What did you see, Sir?"

"Answer me first," the hero snapped.

Izuku nodded, then swallowed.

"I'm from the future."

The hero's eyes widened.

"In my original timeline," Izuku continued, "an accident happened in April of next year. I was sent two years back in time. So, since last April, I've relived more than a year of my life already."

Izuku didn't want to overwhelm Nighteye with too much information, so he waited patiently as the hero processed the information.

Sir Nighteye looked askance at the boy but didn't deny his claim. Izuku wondered what the hero had seen through his foresight.

"What was the accident?" Nighteye asked.

"A little girl named Eri," Izuku said, the sound of her name stabbing his throat, "Eri has a Rewind quirk. She can rewind a living being to a previous state, but somehow, that day, she was able to rewind time itself."

Izuku clasped his hands together.

"And, uh... Actually, Eri is one of the biggest reasons I wanted to come to your agency."

"Why?"

"The girl is trapped by a villain called Overhaul, who leads an organization called the Shie Hassaikai. In my last life, you were the one who led the rescue mission. I remember how it went, but I need you, Sir, to make sure it can happen again."

"When did this rescue mission happen? Because till now, I didn't even know this girl existed."

"Eri gets rescued a couple of months later, but... I want to save her as soon as possible, now that I know about it."

Sir Nighteye shook his head incredulously, strode back to his office chair, and sat down. "That's absurd. All of this is absurd."

The hero sat up straight and placed his fingers on the table.

"As someone whose quirk is literally to read the future, I'm telling you that this is fanciful. Things happen for a reason, Midoriya. This rescue mission? I'm glad that it succeeded, but I'm sure that there were a lot of different circumstances that went into it. The research, the amount of experience the heroes had, the events that led up to it..."

Sir Nighteye paused, "...and the timing."

Izuku clenched his fists and shook his head. "Maybe that matters, but is all of that worth keeping a little girl in pain?"

"You don't know what will happen. She could be in more pain if you act rashly."

"I can't just wait on the side when I know that an innocent girl is suffering!"