ROSIE

When Christian came back into town he came and picked me up. I was nervous. We went out and he took me to a park. He explained everything to me.

All about Daisy. My heart sinks to my stomach. Nobody deserves that pain. I feel for him. He mentions what she told Flor before she passed away.

I understand now. He explains how he felt for me and how he was reluctant because of how he felt. When he mentions that she said she'd send me and then compares how we all have flower names. I feel emotional.

I want to care for this boy. I already do. I want him to care for me too. He stares at me from the drivers seat. His handsome face examining mine. "I want to be with you Rosie." his voice comes out raspy.

Butterflies erupt in my tummy and I smile softly at him. "I want to be with you too Christian." I feel hot under his stare and I can feel my cheeks flush. He stares at my lips before he strokes his thumb across my cheek.

Oh god. It's happening. Don't be nervous. He draws in closer to me and kisses my lips softly. I feel tingles erupt in my face and I feel my face get red.

He pulls away and I stare at him. I cup his cheek and stroke his face. "I'll be here the whole way." I say.
And I really mean it.
---
Christian has to leave to go do something in a town nearby. Code for helping his uncle with something criminal related. He drops me off back at my house and I scroll on my phone.

There's races tonight. I've been racing for a little over a year and I never knew I would be into it. I make my plan for tonight and mentally prepare.

When I arrive I have to put my name last as everybody else already had a race assigned. I'm sitting watching the other races when the guy who runs these- his name is Daniel. Comes over and tells me that I got a race. It's for 30k. I make a lot of money off these races and it's fun.

I head over to my car and buckle in. I drive into the track and into my lane. I see a black hellcat SRT. Jesus. That car is sick as fuck. I've been into muscle cars since I was in middle school. The windows are tinted so I can't see who's driving. But I know they have a good reputation. The racer goes by Florecita. She's well known and respected.

I've never seen her before though. I'm nervous to race her. I've won the majority of my races but have lost a few too. I swallow hard and focus. The announcer counts down.
I rev my engine after she revs hers.
I feel the adrenaline kick in.
Go.
Both of us go flying down the path. None of us having a head start. We both go neck to neck and I see her come in slightly ahead of me. The turns are coming up.

She has a hellcat and those are hard as fuck to turn. But that's why she has such a good reputation she doesn't lose speed when she does it. I can't help but feel happy I'm racing such a good racer. I'm not doing so bad.

I ease the wheel into the turn as quick as I can. My car glides but loses speed as Florecita speeds by. She's ahead of me now.

I accelerate and I'm right next to her. The finish line coming up in the front. I feel like I'm on the edge of my seat as I wait to see who blows over first. Suddenly her car lurches forward and beats me by roughly half a second.

I hear the applause and I feel happy for her and for myself because I did a good job. I want to see who she is. I exit my car and watch her door open. Daniel rushes to her and embraces her.

I instantly recognize her dark locks. It's Flor. I almost want to visibly gasp at how her name makes sense. It must be a nickname. I always assumed whoever was driving named their car after flower in spanish. I smile at her and I can see she recognizes me.

---
I get home later that night. Flor dropped me back off to get my car after we went to her apartment for a bit. I'm back home and settle into my bed when Christian tells me he's a few minutes away. I exhale and feel content.