3

The car ride was silent for awhile. There wasn't really much to talk about between the two and both of them have mutually agreed to forget about last night all together.

"I don't think he likes me." Nancy said unexpectedly. Steve had a puzzled look on his face, not really expecting Nancy to say such a thing.

"What gave you that idea?" Steve questioned. Did something happen between them that he wasn't aware of and everyone just kept it secret. For the past few weeks that they've hung out together all four of them were so happy together. At least that what it seemed like to Steve.

Nancy laughed at Steven's confusion and that was the first time in a long time he heard her actually laughing.

"Steve you're so oblivious," she looked at him with kind eyes even though he couldn't really see her expression due to driving. "All the times that you excused yourself to go to the bathroom. He changed into a whole different person."

Steve couldn't believe what he was hearing. Nothing wasn't making sense anymore. First it was Eddie saying he never wanted Robin and Nancy to tag along with them and now Nancy entertaining the idea that Eddie doesn't like her. Steve couldn't put anything together at this point.

"Nancy that's ridiculous." Steve shook his head in disbelief. The road that Nancy lived on was coming up and Steve wasn't ready to end this conversation quite yet.

He slowed down closely to where her house was and she gathered her things slowly. Before she could get out the car Steve lightly grabbed her wrist.

"Could you at least explain to me what you mean by that?" Steve was curious now. She couldn't bring up something so vague and just drop it like it never happened.

Nancy let out a sigh before looking at the distraught boy in front of her. "I think that's something you're going to have to figure out Steve." She said softly before smiling at him. Next thing you know Steve's car was empty and he was left with his thoughts once again.

-

Another week has passed and the four teens haven't spoken to each other since Saturday and Sunday. Well Steve was the only one who knew he was doing this. He avoided Nancy at school, he avoided Robin at work, and for Eddie. Steve barely saw him anyways so he didn't really have to try to avoid-

"Shit!" Steve said in agony and the other person he just bumped into head on also groaned in pain. His blurry vision started to focus on the person he's just collided with. None other than,

Eddie.

"Uh- uh hey dude, long time no see huh?" Steve was trying to sound as casual as possible which wasn't working in his favor right now. Eddie just stared at him awkwardly and Steve started to feel heat rush to his cheeks. "Um... ok bye." Steve rushed past Eddie before he could even say anything.

Luckily the bathroom was empty when he entered. This was always his number one hiding spot at school, of course when other guys seen him in there they assumed he was skipping or just banged a really hot girl. None of it was true, even Steve needed a place to clear his mind sometimes.

He looked into the mirror. Everything looked fine even physically he felt fine. It was his thoughts that made him not feel fine. The same thing was playing over and over in his head. Specifically what Nancy told him in the car almost a week ago.

"God I'm losing my mind." Steve said gripping his hair as tight as possible. All he wanted was things to go back to normal and everyone would live happily ever after. Sadly this wasn't a fairytale, Steve couldn't avoid his friends forever

"Harrington?" A familiar voice behind him spoke. Steve took a deep breath before turning around. His eyes met Eddie's concerned ones. There was so much silence between two people who had so much to say to each other. Eddie managed to take a few steps and closing the space between them without getting too close.

"Are you going to explain why you're hiding in the bathroom!" Eddie asked while crossing his arms. Steve felt like he was being scolded by his parents, if he wanted a lecture he would call them on the nearest telephone for that.

"Clearing my mind. I've been thinking about a lot of things recently." Steve ran a shaky hand through his hair. He didn't realize how fast he wanted this conversation to be over.

"Is Nancy one of those things?" Eddie asked bluntly. Now Steve was slowly starting to see what Nancy was talking about. He gave off a vibe when he talked about Nancy, it wasn't loving in the slightest.

"No, but I do think you two probably started off on the wrong foot." Steve tried to put some positivity into this conversation. Eddie wasn't having it though, he rolled his eyes at the idea.

"Yeah because Nancy could do no wrong right? I don't even know why I thought you would stop talking about her it's obvious you're still in love with her." Eddie spat those words out and he regretted them immediately after they were already in the atmosphere.

Steve felt a pain in his chest after hearing those words. He didn't know if it was because Eddie was the one telling him this or half of it was true. He was hoping that the more they spent time together she would find a little bit of love for him still. This was killing him on the inside every time they would hang out. So that's why he used Eddie and Robin as a mask over his true intentions, he knew it was selfish and he knew he was a bad friend for it.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean-"

"You're right," Steve exhaled the breath he didn't know he was holding in. This was going to be his way of making things right. So he decided to put an offer on the table, little did he know this would change everything.

"I know I've been a bad friend. That's why from this day forward whenever you want to hang out I'll be there.

"No kids."

"No adults."

"No Robin."

"No Nancy."

"Just us."

-

Ok I need a little feedback, how is it? Is it readable? Or is it just atrociously bad? Please be honest and interact with this story as much as you can! Thank you for reading 🥰