11

The tension in the room could be cut with a knife. Not to long ago they were in this same situation and this time they were in the right state of mind. If anything happened it was on purpose.

"Yeah... honestly anything you do is cute." Eddie was just letting his thoughts slip into the atmosphere. Finding it impossible to himself but at this point he stopped caring.

Steve couldn't hide his blushing face at the compliment. It was so rare for him to get any type of compliment that was more than some girl calling him "hot". Eddie was being genuine and so caring to him even after all the trouble he's caused. This feeling in his chest was becoming more intense as he continued to look at Eddie, now he knows why.

"You're way to kind to me Eddie, I don't deserve your kind heart." Steve said softly as took Eddie's hands into his own. Eddie could feel the butterflies in his stomach. Steve always made him feel this way but now it didn't feel like a burden to like him it felt pleasant. He was hoping he wasn't going to regret what he was about to do.

Eddie closed his eyes and leaned forward pressing his lips onto Steve's. It felt like fireworks were exploding as they continued to kiss each other softly. Steve was the first to pull away still surprised by what he was doing. Eddie didn't want it to end so fast but reality has to kick in eventually.

Steve didn't know what he was doing or why he kind of liked what he was doing. All he knew was that he's never felt so happy to kiss someone in his entire life. Eddie looked concerned, he was waiting for a terrible response but when nothing was being said he only could imagine the worst.

"I don't know why I did that... I'm sorry." Eddie apologized for his mindless behavior. Steve continued to just stare at Eddie and the was making him feel like the world was going to explode or something.

"Ste-"

Steve pulled Eddie closer to him so their lips were back together. His mind was filled with thoughts running through his head. Steve loved the feeling of Eddie's lips on his and the softness of them was making crazy. Eventually they pulled away from each other to catch their breath.

"Was that good?" Steve had to ask to save himself from embarrassment. He knew it was just kissing and he's done it a thousand times, but this time was different he actually felt a connection.

"It was amazing." Eddie was being honest or maybe he was just saying that because Steve was asking him. Either way it felt amazing to him. "You want to spend the night?"

"Yeah that'll be nice."

-

They cuddled together in Eddie's bed wrapping all their limbs around each other. There was no discussion of what this relationship was or what it was turning into.

"I think I want to continue doing this." Steve admitted in a confused tone. The warmth of Eddie's body and his fingers running through his hair made him feel things that no girl has ever made him feel.

"You mean cuddling?" Eddie joked earning a playful punch from Steve.

"That too but no I mean like... us being together." Steve said with a little more confidence. "Maybe we should start dating."

"I think we should." Eddie smiled from ear to ear.

"Well with that out the way, I have a question." Steve took a deep while looking at Eddie who was still in complete bliss.

"Yeah of course." Eddie focused all his attention on Steve waiting for his question.

"Um... why don't you like Nancy?" Steve knew he was playing a dangerous game by pushing this topic but he wanted to know.

Eddie's smile faded almost immediately as her name was said. He guessed he wasn't really hiding his dislike for Nancy after all this time. Steve had every right to question his behavior towards her and if they were going to be a couple from now on there will not be anymore secrets.

"Ok, a long time ago me and Nancy were best friends in the fifth grade. We cared for each other and told each other everything. During that time that's when you moved here and I developed a very big crush on you-"

"Wait wait you had a crush on me?" Steve asked with the cutest look on his face. Eddie nodded trying to stop the smile that was forming on his face but he couldn't.

"After I discovered that I liked you I obviously wanted to tell my best friend everything. So I told her and she was so excited for me that I had a crush. One thing I remember specifically is her talking to a group of our classmates and she was telling them about who my crush was, that's when my heart dropped." Eddie paused for a second to gather himself. The tears was starting to build up in his eyes as the memories came rushing in. Steve held his hand tightly trying to comfort him the best he could.

"All the kids were calling me names and telling me how you would never like a freak like me because only freaks liked boys. Nancy didn't seem to understand how telling other kids would affect me. Than a few weeks later she started dating you and that completely crushed my soul."

Steve took all of this information in and tried to process all of it. Now that he was thinking about it him and Nancy did start to date in the fifth grade. He also remembers kids telling him that someone liked him but he just ignored it, all this time he never knew it was Eddie.

"It was so easy for her to have you and kiss you in publicly in front of everyone. While I had to be looked at as a disgusting person and you wouldn't even look at me. That's why when we were in the upside down it felt so unreal to hear your voice and actually talk to just like how I imagined after all these years. That was also the first time me and Nancy has ever spoken to each other in years." Eddie was relieved to finally tell someone that story and that someone being Steve.

Steve didn't say anything all he did was pull Eddie into a tight embrace. Letting him know that he was there for him always no matter what.

Steve pulled away to look directly into Eddie's eyes. "I can't change what happened to you but I know Nancy means no harm. I promise." Steve rubbed his thumb on Eddie's cheek.

"Since it's you I guess I'll reconsider my feelings toward her." Eddie loved watching the smile on Steve's face. "I love you Steve."

"I love you too, Eddie."

They enjoyed each other's company for the rest of the night. Steve and Eddie wasn't a cliche so their love was a lot harder to put together. Both of them had to realize that this was what real love should feel like no matter how others try to label it.

Finally ending up together wasn't unthinkable after all.

The end.

-

I hope you all enjoyed and had a fun time while reading it. This story wasn't meant to be long at all so this was the ending. I'm planning on making another Steve x Eddie fanfic so stay tuned for that. Bye guys 🥰