five | Dig Dug

DEJA VU | V.
"I WON'T LET YOU FALL"
(' SLEEPOVER ')

"I WON'T LET YOU FALL"(' SLEEPOVER ')

***

MAX KNEW LITTLE ABOUT BASKETBALL. SHE KNEW EVEN LESS ABOUT CHEER. So, for the duration of the basketball game, she was extremely confused and bored. The only moment she seemed to gain a reprieve from that boredom was when she saw Jamie.

A permanent smile seemed etched into Jamie's face as she cheered, and Max felt that it suited her. The smile came naturally to Jamie whereas her teammates smiled like they had a stick up their asses. Especially the cheer captain, Nicole. Max could smell a bitch from a mile away and she was certainly one.

"Popcorn?"

Max looked up to see a man with long blonde hair holding out a box and she stared at it with a frown. A woman came up beside the man and gave him a firm slap on the shoulder.

"Axel, you can't just go around offering teens popcorn! It's creepy!"

"Sorry," Axel apologizes as he retracts the popcorn and opens the box, beginning to eat it.

"Yes, we're very sorry," the woman tells Max. She stares at the couple with curious looks before it hits her that these are Jamie's parents. It must have been a family trait to apologize.

"We're Jamie's parents," Axel says as he shoves a handful of popcorn into his mouth, "And that skateboard and red hair tells me that you're Max."

Max glances over at the skateboard and nods her head.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Jamie's mom says, "I'm Margaret, well Maggie. My mother calls me Margaret and frankly I hate it."

"I understand that," Max responds, "My real name is Maxine, but I just go by Max."

"Jamie's real name is James," Axel shares, "Named after one of the greatest songwriters of all time, James Taylor."

Max certainly hadn't been expecting that.

"James?" Max asks.

"Yes," Maggie says rolling her eyes, "I wanted to name her Simone, but Mr. Rockstar over here just had to have his way."

"James is a rocker name," Axel states, "And our daughter is a rockstar. Figuratively not literally. That girl cannot play a tune to save her life."

Maggie shakes her head at her husband's antics and looks at Max with a soft smile that reminds her so much of Jamie, "Can we sit with you? Jamie called us and went on some sort of tangent about not wanting you to be alone?"

Max flushes at the words and the fact that Jamie had spoken to her parents about her, "Oh. Um sure."

Maggie takes a seat beside the young teen while her husband takes a seat behind them. Max looks over at Jamie's parents and could certainly see her in both of them. They not only looked alike but the mannerisms, especially Maggie's smile, were the exact same. The smile she wore was just like the one Jamie was wearing on the sideline.