six | The Spy

DEJA VU | VI.
"YOU'RE MY FAVORITE PERSON"
(' JELLY JAM AND MAD MAX ')

"YOU'RE MY FAVORITE PERSON"(' JELLY JAM AND MAD MAX ')

***

JAMIE SITS IN THE PASSENGER SEAT OF STEVE'S CAR, NODDING HER HEAD ALONG TO THE MUSIC. In the backseat was Dustin, who they found biking over to the Wheeler house. He was seated in the middle having just informed them that Dart, who had been teeny tiny was now a giant monster.

"Wait," Steve says, "So how big is he again?"

"At first he was like this," Dustin holds up his hand, "And now he's like this." Dustin spreads his arms out to depict Dart's new and very large size.

"I swear to God, man, it's just some lizard, okay," Steve says.

"It's not a lizard," Dustin insists, "Jamie, tell this man it's not a lizard!"

"Not a lizard," Jamie says, still bobbing her head to the music, trying blissfully not to think about the fact that Dart was now humongous and had eaten Mew and now they were on the hunt for him with nothing but a bat. She was also extremely worried about Will.

"How do you know?"

"How do I know it's not?" Dustin asks.

"How do you know it's not just a lizard?" Steve asks and Jamie stops vibing with the music as she looks over at them. Why had they just asked each other the same question like three times?

"Because his face opened up and he ate my cat," Dustin shares, which silences Steve.

They pull into Dustin's driveway and head over to the cellar. Jamie reaches into her book bag and pulls out her flashlight and both Steve and Dustin glance over at her.

"It's – you know just in case we need to see," she says nodding her head. She wasn't telling them about her fear.

They headed over to the cellar doors and Steve tapped it gently with his bat. Jamie shone the light on the doors as Steve tapped the bat more aggressively to the doors. There was no sound and Jamie moved the light over to Dustin's face and he used his hand to block it.

"All right, listen, kid. I swear if this is some sort of Halloween prank you're dead. All right?"

"It's not a prank," Dustin says, "Jamie, please stop shining that in my face."

"Sorry," she apologized as she quickly directed the light to the ground.

Steve sighs, "Do you have a key to this thing?"

Dustin reaches into his pocket producing the key and he unlocks the doors.

"Let me see that," Steve says holding his hand out and Jamie looks at it before placing her flashlight in Steve's hand. Steve shines the light in the cellar and there's still nothing in sight.