seven | The Mind Flayer

DEJA VU | VII.
"YOU'RE LIKE SOULMATES OR SOMETHING"
(' THE CURIOUS CASE OF MIKE AND JAMIE ')

"YOU'RE LIKE SOULMATES OR SOMETHING"(' THE CURIOUS CASE OF MIKE AND JAMIE ')

***

MAGGIE EDWARDS HUMMED TO HERSELF AS SHE HEADED INTO HER DAUGHTER'S room only to find it empty. She'd told her that she'd be spending the day with Steve and Dustin something that Maggie found a little strange but didn't ponder on too much. She was glad that her daughter was spending time with her old friends and she trusted Steve to look after Jamie, especially since he'd babysat her when she was younger.

Maggie was about to head out of Jamie's room when something on Jamie's desk caught her eye. She headed over and saw a piece of paper and in neat block letters, Jamie had written THE ADVENTURES OF MAD MAX AND JELLY JAM: THE ONE WHERE THEY BECOME BEST FRIENDS. There was a rough sketch of the two of them and Maggie figured that this is what Jamie had wanted her help with.

Maggie smiled at the piece of paper. The comics she'd created for her daughter had been something to make her smile as she dealt with the many stages of life. She was happy to see that she wanted to share it with a friend. The truth was that she worried about Jamie constantly. She feared the way that her new friends would corrupt her. She'd seen small changes. Jamie would attempt make-up, wear her hair down more than usual, and a sudden interest in clothing brands. She chalked it up as a part of growing up, but she also knew at the core that wasn't who her daughter was.

Then she'd noticed a change a few weeks ago. It wasn't a big shift, but suddenly her daughter was hanging out with her old friends and wasn't wearing makeup and she just seemed more herself. Sure, she'd asked for a skateboard, but it seemed like harmless fun. Maxine Mayfield was having a positive effect on her daughter's life and for that Maggie was grateful for her arrival in Hawkins.

She took the piece of paper off of Jamie's desk and took it with her downstairs to her art room, hoping that her daughter wouldn't mind if she finished the rest of the comic for her.

~*~

"Are we sure that was Dart?" Lucas asks.

"Yes I remember the yellow pattern on his butt," Dustin answers, and Jamie's brows furrow at the comment but she doesn't say anything.

"He was tiny two days ago," Max states.

"Well, he's molted three times already," Dustin informs them.

"Malted?" Steve asks and Jamie closes her eyes simply shaking her head.

"Molted," Dustin corrects, "Shed his skin to make room for growth like hornworms."

"When's he gonna molt again?" Max wonders.

"It's gonna be soon," Dustin states, "When he does, he'll be fully grown, or close to it. And so will his friends."