twelve | The Mall Rat

DEJA VU | XII.
"DUMP HIS ASS OR WHATEVER"
(' EL'S NEW LOOK ')

"DUMP HIS ASS OR WHATEVER"(' EL'S NEW LOOK ')

***

AXEL EDWARDS WAS NOT A FAN OF FOOTBALL, BUT SOMETIMES HE HAD TO PRETEND TO ENJOY manly things and so as he watched the Giants and the Packers play, he sighed unhappily hoping for a distraction.

Max Mayfield, who had become a regular in his home and like a second daughter, collapsed onto the couch beside him, arms crossed over her chest. Axel could tell that something was bothering the girl, but he didn't want to pry. He simply prayed to whatever God there was that max would want to rant to him.

"Mr. Edwards?" Max asks and Axel has to hide his excitement as he grabbed the remote and turned off the TV and gave Max his undivided attention.

"Max we've been over this, you can call me Axel," he says, "And what's up?"

"How would you feel if you knew someone was interested in Maggie?" Max asks.

Axel shrugs, "I wouldn't really be bothered by it, I mean Maggie's my wife."

"Okay say you aren't married but dating and this person that is interested in Maggie has known her a long time. I'm talking since Kindergarten."

Axel's brows furrow. He wasn't a fool. He was aware that his daughter had a crush on Max and he assumed that Max also had a crush on Jamie. He didn't know if either of them was aware of the other's feelings, but he knew it was not a one-sided thing. He knew Max was asking about Jamie and he wondered which of Jamie's friends had a crush on her.

"Well, am I the one dating Maggie?" Axel asks.

"Yes," Max answers.

Axel shrugs, "If she's my girl, then she's my girl. I'm not scared of what a friendship since Kindergarten will do."

"What if she realizes that she likes this friend?" Max asks.

"If she's been friends with the guy since Kindergarten and they have been nothing but friends, then I can assure you that they will remain friends. Besides, I would also have to talk to Maggie and see how she feels about this friend. Has she ever expressed liking him?"

"No," Max admits.

"See? Nothing to worry about," he says with a small smile.

"There's always something to worry about when you can't be honest with the world," Max admits softly, and Axel looks at the girl sympathetically.

"Well I can't speak for the rest of the world, but under this roof, you can be as honest as you want to be, kid. We have nothing but good vibes and love here," Axel assures her. Max looks at Axel and she can see that his words are honest and true. She wishes that she had parents like Jamie.