17. A new base

You know you have had a bad week when you sleep for over 10 hours. But when you wake up and you feel like a blob? Everyone knows you needed the sleep. That's what I did.

When I woke up, I still couldn't move right. I also woke up alone and in a crib. The crib part I was expecting. Part of Bull's punishment was that he was going to be treated the way he had acted, which was like a bratty toddler. So, he was going to have to ask for everything. He was supposed to be sleeping in a nursery instead of his room and that meant the crib. He would have to ask to get out every morning then ask to even go potty when he needed to go. And this thing was built with infants to small teens in mind. It was actually a twin size bed with wooden bars around it that made it look just like a crib, and the bed could be raised or lowered depending on who was sleeping in it. It was actually a pretty cool bed.

The part I was not expecting was being alone. And with me barely being able to move around, I knew I would need someone in here fast. I don't really do being alone anymore. I really got used to having people around me almost 24/7 now. I had forgotten how scary it could be when nobody was around, but I'm not a baby so I didn't start to panic or cry out for someone immediately.

The first thing I did was grab my stuffed husky, then I rolled over so I wasn't on my back. Now that I was in a better position I could look around. The sun was up, but the curtains were blocking out most of the light. So, someone thought that I would be sleeping in, for once, and I'm sure that was Husky. He is the one that has been staying at my side almost 24/7 for the past couple of weeks now. He would know me best even if we didn't share memories. And he's been so nice to me too. I know all this started as basically a protection detail, but I think we have really grown closer, like we are really brothers. Sometimes he treats me like an equal and sometimes he treats me like a little brother, but lately, he has been treating me like a really little brother that needs him to do everything. And sometimes I actually need that whether I like it or not, so if he wants a really little brother to take care of every now and then, I'm good with it. I'm just happy to be here, as the saying goes.

As I was looking at the window, I saw a shadow pass by. I thought it might be a bird at first, but when 2 more came to the window and stopped, I didn't know what they were. Then, the shadow grew and grew until it took up almost the whole window. And then, it grew arms and a head. It looked like it had claws and was about to try to get in the room. I was hugging my husky and tapping its nose to get Husky's attention, but he didn't come. Then I remembered that we were in the past and not on the moon. Did these things work here? And that's when I screamed. "HUSKY HELP!! THERES A MONSTER AT THE WINDOW!!"

Wolf come bursting in the room followed close behind by Husky and Bull. All I could do was stare at the window as the monster came closer. Wolf ran to the window as Husky and Bull came to me. The bars on my bed dropped and scared the heck out of me, but Husky was there to grab me as tears started to fall. Wolf pulled open the curtains to see what was there. I was hiding my face in Husky's chest as Wolf started to laugh. What I thought was a monster was actually a lot of hummingbirds. Husky brought me to the window so I could see why the little birds were swarming around my window. Out back of the house was a garden. And in that garden were flowers of all kinds. If I wasn't already crying from being scared, I would have started then. It was such a beautiful place to look at, it would have brought tears to your eyes. There were hummingbirds all over the place. I could also see bees going from petal to petal collecting pollen for honey.

"Well," Wolf started. "If hummingbirds are monsters, then I think I scared them away for you." Wolf tussled my hair while passing and walked out the door.

Bull looked out the window then turned to me. "Max, in this place you're safe. You have the best guard dogs here. And the windows are monster proof." Then he too tussled my hair and walked out grinning from ear to ear.