Chapter 6 - The challenge

Someone opens the door and enters Ian's office.

"Hello! Oh, Ian and Tartus having a discussion this early in the morning. Am I interrupting anything?" The one who enters is king Willian.

"No, we were already done. Just wanted to visit an old friend." Says Tartus.

"And what are you doing here at my office? Don't you have anything to do in the capital?" Asks Ian.

"The Tartus problem, let's say it that way, is more important now. And I knew Tartus would definitely be here." Says Willian with a smile.

"Tartus, I really need you to choose someone. I'm afraid you won't keep your word."

"I will. No worries. If that's all, I'm leaving now." Tartus starts walking towards the exit.

Before Tartus could leave, Willian, still in front of the door, puts his hand on Tartu's shoulder and whispers.

"Please, just make sure this new apprentice doesn't end up like the other."

Tartus stops and whispers back.

"The tongue of a fool is his biggest threat."

"Is that a threat?"

"More like advice."

Tartus resumes walking and leaves the mansion.

Tartus walks in the streets of the south of Erex. It is so early in the morning that there is almost no one to be seen. While walking, Tartus thinks.

So the mutants were exterminated? Why? And how? Either way, I don't have business here anymore.

Suddenly someone screams from behind.

"Tartus!!!"

The person screaming runs towards Tartus and gets close to him. Tartus stops and looks at the person who is panting from running.

"I finally found you." Says the person.

"Who are you?"

"What do you mean who I am? I'm the one you saved."

"I've saved a lot of people. You have to be more specific."

"Yesterday, from the thief."

"Oh yeah, I remember. You were that crying kid."

Akin makes an annoyed face after hearing that.

Tartus continues.

"Since you're here, you might be helpful. You were born here, right?"

"Yes." Says Akin confused.

"Do you know what happened to the mutants?"

"What are mutants?"

"Forget it. You're just a stupid kid." Says Tartus with a disappointed face.

Akin is even more annoyed. Tartus starts walking again.

"Wait!" Screams Akin, stopping Tartus.

"What do you want?"

"I have great news for you! Your problem with the new apprentice is over!"

"Huh?"

"That's because your new apprentice is right here!" Says Akin with a big smile.

"What? That's a joke, right?"

"No, no joke. You inspired me. Now I'm sure I will become the strongest knight ever!"

What is wrong with this kid? Is he even the same person from yesterday? Thinks Tartus.