Progression

It's has been a few weeks since the accident and Gerard being out of hospital.

He hasn't returned to work yet but is walking unaided and ready to get back to the garage soon.

He has been having regular doctor appointments and his ribs have healed and he no longer has a cast on his broken leg. He has done so well with his recovery. I'm very proud of him.

I am now halfway through my pregnancy and I have grown a little bump. I often feel a little flutter in my stomach which is so weird to feel.
Gerard has been reading ALOT of baby books while he has been at home.
I swear he could almost train as a midwife with the amount of knowledge he has required about pregnancy.

It's an exciting day as we have an appointment with an obstetrician to have a scan.

We will get to see our baby and find out the sex of him or her.

Gerard has moved in with me now. It was easier as he was sharing with Mikey and Frank, they were at work all day during his recovery time and Harry was generous enough to let me take some time off to help Gerard heal.

I sit at the table in the kitchen,eating some toast and drinking a decaf coffee.
Gee walks in.

"How are my two favourite people this morning?" he asks, smiling

"Baby is excited to see us, mother is needing caffeine. Decaf doesn't quite hit the spot" I laugh.

I finish my toast, get up and put on my jacket.
I grab the car keys off the kitchen counter and we walk to the car.

I've been driving us since the accident. Gerard doesn't feel like he wants to get in to the driving seat yet, which is understandable with what he went through.

I drive us to the OBGYN office and park the car in a spare space near the doors.
We get to the waiting room and book in, take a seat and wait to be called.

There are lots of books on the table in front of our chairs, all baby and pregnancy books.
Gerard picks one up.

"Ooh I haven't read this one yet. Remind me to order it off Amazon when we get back" he laughs and put the book down again.

I chuckle and give him a playful nudge with my arm.

A woman steps out of the door and calls my name.
We both get up and follow her down the corridor to a room.

It is very dimly lit. It has a bed with two chairs next to it on the left hand side.
On the right is the big ultrasound machine with a chair in front.
There is a little screen placed just near the foot of the bed that shows what the ultrasound screen is showing.

"I'm Nikki, if you just lay and pull your top up, we can start the ultrasound" she tells me.

I lay on the bed and raise my top just over my bra so my stomach and bump is exposed. Gerard sits down on one of the chairs next to me and grabs my hand, giving it a little squeeze of reassurance.

Nikki puts some cold jelly substance on my lower stomach and places the corded ultrasound camera onto the same place.

She moves it around for a while then begins to tell is what she sees.

"Here is the baby's head. Looks a good shape and size"..

Me and Gerard are looking at the monitor near the bed. I can see him smiling from the light of the screen.

She carries on explaining

"I can see two little hands with all fingers and thumbs. Two little feet with all toes. The heart is pumping away at a fantastic rate. Did you want to hear it?" She asks.

I nod and she turns the sound up on the machine.

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

It's like music to my ears. Such a healthy little heartbeat. Our baby's heartbeat.

I squeeze Gerard's hand and look at him again. He has one single tear running down his face. I move my other hand to his cheek and wipe it away. He leans down and kisses me gently.

"Do you want to know the sex of the baby?" Nikki asks

"Yes please" I reply to her

"Well if I move the camera down, I can see that you are having a......GIRL!"

"Oh my god" I gasp.
I look at Gerard and he is smiling the biggest grin ever.

"I will print some pictures off for you and you will be free to go" says Nikki as she hands me some tissue to wipe the jelly off my stomach.

I stand up off the bed and she hands me three pictures, all different angles of our baby. One looks likes she is waving at us and another looks like she's sucking her thumb.

We walk down to outside after the appointment.
I stand next to the car just staring at the pictures.
Gerard comes up from behind and puts his hands around my waist, settling them on my bump.

"My two girls, I love you both so much" he whispers in my ear.

I turn round and wrap my arms around his neck. I kiss him hard on the lips. I feel the emotion building up inside of me. I just want to cry with happiness.

"There is something I've been meaning to ask you, even before the accident and pregnancy" Gerard carries on before I can ask him what it is.
"I know people organise special occasions for this but I just want to say it....will you marry me?"

"Of course I will" I say, my eyes filling with the happy tears that I held back earlier. " And who says this isn't a special occasion?. We have just seen our baby girl"

He smiles and pulls me in to kiss my lips.
I feel a tear on my cheek. It's not my happy tear though, it's his.