The Ghost- 8.

I jogged to catch up as Inspector Barnes walked up ahead, Lockwood easily striding beside him. Lockwood had his rapier back at his side and I felt almost naked without mine through my belt. But there was no way I was going back to get it.

                My cheeks were still burning with embarrassment after Barnes had found us on the floor; my behaviour had been entirely unprofessional and I was shocked Barnes hadn't commented on it already. Surely he would have something to say on the matter, as he did about everything else Lockwood and Co did.

                "We have every right to be here Inspector," Lockwood began, his usual charming smile stretched across his face. "We've been given permission-"

                "Not now Mr Lockwood. I'm not going to listen to you twice, and there's someone else who needs to hear this."

                Lockwood's face was white as he glanced back at me, and I held back a grimace, forcing a small smile. Lockwood fell into step beside me, reaching out to take my hand. I tried to pull away but he held firm.

                "Barnes already thinks we're incompetent," I said. "We need to start acting like professionals."

                "Luce, I think it's too late for that I'm afraid. And we might get off more lightly if they don't see us as a threat. That room was not an archive Luce, and I think the more questions we ask the worse it will be."

                "You don't mean... You don't think we'll be in danger?"

                "Keep your voice down," he said, his eyes flashing to where Barnes walked just ahead of us. "I don't know. But I'm not willing to take any chances."

                "You were willing to take chances against the ghosts in that room."

                "That was different Luce. We handled that well, as I knew we would. But we're in the middle of the enemies' camp right now, and I'm not going to risk you. If we escape today we'll be alive to fight again tomorrow."

                "I don't think that's quite how the saying goes."

                "That was the part where you were meant to swoon at my sentiments and faint in my arms. You haven't really got a hold on this romantic stuff, have you Luce?"

                Barnes had stopped up ahead and we waited with baited breath as he knocked on one of the few doors that lined the corridor. There was a brief pause before the door swung inwards of its own accord. Barnes stepped into the room and we followed, both sets of eyes falling on the woman behind the desk.

                Just as last time we'd seen her she was so stunning she took our breaths away. Her passionate dark eyes were fixed on Lockwood, her hair falling about her shoulders in delicate curls, accentuating the fine cut of her cheekbones. Her full lips were taught with anger, the faint lines around the corners of her mouth the only thing that gave a hint as to her age.

                "Mr Lockwood, Ms Carlyle. Please sit down," Penelope Fittes said, waving a slender hand towards the two chairs in front of the desk. We both took a seat, Lockwood refusing to let go of my hand even now. "I do expect you remember me, especially after you used my name to get in here."

                "Of course we remember you Ms Fittes. How could anyone forget," Lockwood said, his bright grin plastered across his handsome features. "If you don't mind my asking, how did you know that we were here?"

                "Anytime anyone gets admitted into our halls it is recorded on camera. Usually we have a guard watching, but we also employ face recognition technology. Your faces had not been seen to enter the halls before so I was alerted via a special computer program set up by DEPRAC," Penelope said, nodding at Barnes. "We can also track your key card, which was how the Inspector found you at Archive One. I was able to watch your fight through the cameras; it was very impressive, even if I don't have the Sight I once did. Tell me Mr Lockwood; what kind of Visitor was it that you encountered?"

                "I really have no idea," Lockwood admitted. "I've never seen anything like it."

                "Exactly why we had it locked up Mr Lockwood," Penelope said, her voice cold. "If we thought it was necessary that you entered Archive One, Inspector Barnes would have given you permission. You could have got yourself and Ms Carlyle killed. You opened the little gate at the bottom of the Relic Column, admittedly accidently; you hit it with your toe, and that was what released the Visitor."

                Lockwood was silent, though I could see he was struggling not to ask any questions. He wanted us to appear unprofessional and non-threatening, and I could see he was trying very hard not to let his curiosity get the better of him.

                "Archive One is dangerous. Only certain persons have access to it, and there is good reason for that," Penelope finished, looking up at Inspector Barnes for a moment. "Anything you wanted to say Inspector?"

                "You need to grow up," Barnes said gruffly, his moustache twitching in agitation. "Both of you, but particularly you Mr Lockwood. If you are to be in charge of an organisation, even if it has only three operatives, you need to be responsible. And from what I can see you do not even come close. If you cannot prove your ability to act responsibly and take control over your little company I shall see to it that Lockwood and Co no longer exists. Do you understand me Mr Lockwood?"

                Lockwood sat very still, his face slowly turning from white to red as he attempted to rein in his anger. I set my jaw, taking a deep breath before I spoke.

                "We understand Inspector," I said. I stood up, pulling Lockwood with me. "I've really enjoyed having this little chat with you both. Are we free to leave or is there something else you would like to say?"

                "You won't be leaving without an escort," Barnes said, drawing himself up to his full height and puffing out his chest. "You have to earn your trust."

                "I do hope the next time we encounter each other will be under more happy circumstances," Penelope Fittes said, rising to her feet in order to reach across and shake both our hands. "It pains me to see such promising agents delve to such lows. I do hope you find what you were looking for; though please don't try to look through our archives again. I won't be so lenient next time."

Two updates in two days! (Also known as homework avoidance XD) Hope you enjoyed it, and thanks again for all your comments. I can hardly believe that I have over 500 reads (500!!!!), so thankyou all so much! Anyway, hope you are all having a good weekend :)