The Ghost- 10

The house was quiet. Too quiet.

                Finn kept close, his eyes glazing over as he used his talent, occasionally laying his hand on my arm as though he was having difficulty finding me in the dark. George, Kat and Kipps had taken our things into the kitchen and had started making tea, but Finn had asked that he stay with me for a while to get a sense on what he called my 'psychic energy'. Lockwood wasn't far away, leaning against the wall, his face showing his displeasure.

                "That's enough now," Lockwood said, and Finn scowled at him, his fingers curling about my shoulder.

                "Not yet," Finn said. "Lucy's talent is very strong, and it makes her almost blinding. It's difficult to pinpoint exactly where she's standing. Now please be quiet or maybe you could just go away. It's difficult to concentrate when you keep interrupting every few minutes."

                "Is it really necessary to touch her?"

                "Yes, yes it is," Finn said coldly.

                "Anthony, please," I said, pulling away from Finn to press the palm of my hand against Lockwood's cheek. His expression softened at my touch and I gave a small smile. "He's only trying to help. I'll be far better protected with Finn there. Why don't you go make sure Kipps hasn't decapitated George yet?"

                "If you're sure Luce," Lockwood said, glaring over my shoulder at Finn. "Just call out if you need me."

                "He seems like a handful," Finn said as I returned to his side, letting him take my hand. He stood perfectly still for a moment, but his eyes didn't change and I knew he wasn't using his talent.

                "He's just a bit overprotective. We haven't been together very long."

                "He should trust you," Finn said, running his thumb across my knuckles. "You're obviously extremely capable."

                "Anthony does trust me," I retorted, wishing Finn would just get on with the job. I was beginning to hear things; a faint hiss that fluctuated in volume and a loud drip, drip, drip that was slowly waning the harder I tried to tune into it.

                "I didn't mean to offend you," Finn said, offering me a gentle smile. "I really do think you're very capable. I've heard a lot about you from Quill. He told me he'd offered you a job. That doesn't happen very often."

                "I took it as more of an insult than a compliment," I muttered, trying to push down the blush that was rising to my cheeks. "Are we almost finished here?"

                "Almost," Finn said. "I could see your talent manifesting. I was waiting for it to build up. You can hear things, can't you?"