Betrayal- 7.

I slipped out of the kitchen while the others were gathering their packs and checking through the supplies. Seeing Lockwood and Finn stare daggers at each other across the table had been enough to make my chest feel tight and my fingers itch. I pulled out my rapier, weighing it in my hands before taking a quick swipe through the empty air. I hated how helpless I felt, how focussed I was on the boys. I was my own person, and I had to stand on my own two feet. The sword sung in a perfect arch before it twitched into an upper cut. I held it quite still, studying the steadiness of my hand. Before I'd taken another breath I turned quick on my heel, my blade meeting another with a clash of metal, my mouth wide with surprise.

"Woah there," Finn said, giving me his crooked smile which stole all the remaining breath from my lungs. "You nearly took my head off. Or was that your intention?"

"No, I- I was venting my anger, I guess," I said, dropping my rapier to the ground with a clang, twisting the point into the wood. "Sorry."

"That's okay," Finn said, sheathing his rapier. He paused, as though unsure whether or not to go on. "Do you have a moment? I wanted to speak to you."

"Sure," I said, shuffling my feet awkwardly. "What did you want to talk about?"

Finn glanced back at the kitchen before taking my elbow and leading me away from the door and into a little nook beneath the stairs. He wouldn't look at me; his gaze firmly fixed on the floorboards.

"I wanted to apologise for lying to you."

"It's okay. You've already explained-"

"It's not okay. At all. What I did was unacceptable and I'm sorry. Not only was it morally wrong it could have put you- all of us actually, in danger. And I won't have that. We need to know all the facts so we can protect ourselves."

"Thankyou," I said softly. His words were exactly what I wanted to hear, but they had come a little too late. I'd already made up my mind.

"Are you still up for some rapier play?" Finn asked, a half smile on his face as he glanced at the rapier that still dangled from my hand.

"Bring it on," I growled, lowering into a crouch.

"Get away from her."

Lockwood's voice was low and steady as he held his blade to Finn's throat.

"Anthony, no," I said, moving to step between them. Lockwood ignored me, scowling fiercely at Finn. Finn dropped into a defensive stance, avoiding Lockwood's blade and snatching my rapier from me, blocking Lockwood's next blow. Finn eased out of the niche, metal striking metal in an ear shattering display.

"She was never yours," Lockwood said, one hand flush against his lower back as he stood his ground, Finn easily keeping pace. For the moment. I knew that Lockwood could change that with just one well-placed slice, but for now he was purely biding his time. "Ever. And yet you believe you have some claim on her."

"She came to me, Anthony," Finn said, holding his own better than I had expected. Quill and George bashed their way out of the kitchen, and it was only the warning in George's eyes that kept me still. I didn't care for the way they spoke about me, as though I were an object instead of a person. I wanted to knock their heads together; hard. But George was willing me to stay still and I forced myself to be calm. I would not make a fool of myself over a boy. "When you hurt her she came to me."

"Before she knew you. She wasn't thinking. She was upset."

"And then she stayed with me. She chose me over you."

"Yet you haven't spoken to her since we've arrived, not until you stole her away under the stairs where you could use fear to influence her."

"Enough!" I exclaimed, tearing the rapier from Finn's belt and forcing their entwined blades to the ground. They were both panting heavily, their surprised gazes darting from me to rapiers. I threw Finn's rapier aside, folding my arms across my chest. "I'm not an animal. I decide where I go and who I'm with and where I live. I have control over my emotions, not Finn, not Anthony, not anyone. Now, we have a job to do. Either we get on with it or both of you go home without me. Because I am not leaving here until we're finished the job."

"I believe this belongs to you," Finn said quietly, handing me the hilt of my rapier. I took it without grace, slamming it into the sheath. Lockwood caught my arm as Finn turned away to collect his own weapon, but I shook him off.

"Lucy, I-"

"I don't want to hear it," I said coldly. "If you so much as look at Finn sideways I will slit your throat."

"Luce-"

"I love you Anthony," I said, though the words came out harsh. His hand cupped my cheek gently but I turned my head aside. "But that doesn't mean I like you." I pulled away, trying to ignore the emptiness in my chest. It hadn't been the way I wanted the confession to come out, but there it was, stark and expressionless, everything it shouldn't be. "You have a lot to be forgiven for. And right now you're only halfway there."

Sorry about the wait everyone! I'm not entirely happy with this part, but I hope you enjoy it! We'll be back to the ghost next chapter, leaving off the romance for a bit while Lockwood stews ; ) I've been really busy and been suffering from a bit of anxiety lately, so I am sorry about making you wait so long. I've been absent from Wattpad for a long time now and the build up of chapters to read and write has been weighing on me, but hopefully I'll be able to update this more regularly now! Thanks especially to hiddeninthelibrary for the support, and also to everyone else who left comments or voted :D Love you all! <3