Betrayal- 2.

Pleasantly striped blue and white walls met my eyes when I awoke the next morning, sunlight seeping through the cracks in the curtains and down across the floor. I rubbed at my eyes and pushed my hair out of my face before slowly easing out from beneath the covers. The wooden floor was freezing on my bare feet, but I didn't mind. It helped to keep me awake, from falling back into the nightmares that had plagued me during the night. I froze when I caught a glimpse of myself in the full-length mirror against the door. Strands of hair curled about my ears and fell haphazardly about my shoulders, my eyes tinged with red from the evening's tears. I had borrowed one of Finn's shirts for the night, the hem brushing against my mid-thigh and the bruises along my legs purple against the white of it. A scratch glared crimson in the faint illumination, but despite the atrocity of it I knew it was all part of being an Agent. They were my battle scars; my trophies of success. And I wouldn't trade them for anything.

                I headed downstairs like that, not bothering to get changed. I was starving and tired and moody and I didn't really care what Finn thought of me. As kind as he'd been to me he was still Quill Kipps' brother.

                When I made my way down to the kitchen my eyes immediately fell to one of the sofas. A blanket was strewn across the arm and a pillow was nestled in the corner, and I realised that Finn must have slept there.

                I turned my back on the sitting room and put the kettle on before searching for some tea bags. I pulled out two mugs, thinking Finn might appreciate a hot beverage in the morning, when I head the door to the sitting room ease open.

                Finn hesitated on the threshold, looking startled to see me awake and making tea, but when his eyes fell to my legs I realised it was more than that. But then, seeing him wearing nothing but a towel around his waist was causing my eyes to stray in all sorts of directions, and it had nothing to do with unsightly bruises or jagged cuts.

                "If you're- er- done in my room, do you mind if I get changed?" Finn asked, dragging his gaze back up to my face. I felt my cheek redden and I turned back to fridge, bending down to get out the milk.

                "Sure. I've made some tea, so don't take too long or it'll be cold."

                Finn gave a mumble in reply and I heard the door shut behind him as I poured the tea. I took them out into the lounge, setting them on the coffee table as I settled myself on the spare sofa. Taking a calming sip I closed my eyes, but opened them a moment later when I heard the springs squeak opposite.

                "I didn't hear you come in," I said, watching as Finn took a gulp of tea. He smiled, his eyes crinkling beatifically at the corners.

                "I have a penchant for that kind of thing," he said. "Although it doesn't very often come in handy, working with ghosts. Good tea."

                "Thankyou," I said.

                "Do you have any plans for today?" Finn asked, watching me carefully for an answer. I shrugged glibly, not at all sure how to answer.