The Ghost- 9.

"You did what?" George exclaimed, his eyes wide behind his glasses as he peered at us both from the depths of an armchair. We were in the sitting room, Lockwood and I sitting a respectable distance apart on the sofa.

                "As I said George, everything turned out alright. Neither of us were harmed, though I must admit I'm damned curious about that room," Lockwood said, oblivious to the slack-jawed disbelief that was radiating from George.

                "We were lucky," I muttered, polishing my rapier furiously as it lay across my knees. Our bags were lying downstairs in the rapier room, ready for this evening, and my cleaning was more out of nervousness than anything else. As much as I didn't like to admit it I was still feeling scared from our earlier close encounter, and I hadn't yet let Lockwood out of my sight. He'd been pretty understanding about it, though he had forced me to stand outside the bathroom when he'd gone in to clean up. Not that I'd needed much persuading on that...

                "I can't believe you did all that without me," George said, taking off his glasses and wiping them on the corner of his filthy sweater. "I've never even heard of Archive One, which is hardly surprising considering the amount of time I worked there, but you would think with all my snooping- Lucy, what are you doing?"

                The kettle had begun to boil and Lockwood had headed for the kitchen. I was halfway across the room, only a few steps behind him, when I turned to face George.

                "I'm going with him."

                "To pour the drinks? I don't think he really needs any help with that, surely."

                "Lucy hasn't quite recovered from our near escape," Lockwood said. He flashed me a roguish grin. "No matter how many times I tell her we were never in any danger she refuses to believe me. I thought it was rather sweet."

                "No, it's not, it's just weird," George said, scrutinizing me as his mouth puckered unpleasantly. "Lockwood, you had a shower earlier, didn't you? Don't tell me she watched?"

                "Of course not," I spluttered, my cheeks turning crimson. "I would never-"

                "Don't make promises you can't keep," George said, his face etched with revulsion. "Eugh, I can't believe I just said that. And thought that. And- eugh!"

                "We'll discuss this tomorrow George," Lockwood said as he disappeared out the door. "I'll leave your tea in the kitchen. I'm going to get some rest before we leave."

                I looked between Lockwood's retreating back and George's disgusted face, wondering how much embarrassment I would be in for if I followed Lockwood out of the room. Shrugging I walked into the kitchen, deciding I didn't much care what George thought.

                "Oh, there you are," Lockwood said, passing me a steaming cup. "Should I still leave tea out for George or have you broken his jaw?"