Betrayal- 9.

The man didn't put up much of a fight.

By the time Finn had entered the room Lockwood had the man backed against the wall, rapier at his throat. He didn't answer any of our questions on the walk to the kitchen, didn't offer any information as we trussed him to a chair, our chains digging into the flesh of his arms. By the time Finn and I had rounded everyone up he had still said nothing and Lockwood was getting impatient.

"Why are you here?" Lockwood demanded, pacing around the table. His fingers were clenching and unclenching and I could tell he wanted to start throwing punches. I bit my lip, staring hard at the man before me. He wasn't at all familiar, with deep set grey eyes and lustrious brown curls, a nose that had been broken one too many times and a smear of uneven red for lips. When I tried to hold his gaze he didn't appear to be looking so much at me as past me, eyes dull and lifeless.

"We need to find his supplies," I said, worrying my lip with my teeth. I caught Lockwood looking and scowled, turning to the others. "He won't have come here empty handed. He's dressed for hunting Visitors; dark clothes designed for free movement, sturdy shoes; and he also didn't appear out of no where. He has to have brought something."

"He could be a burglar," George said, chewing on something he'd found in one of the top cupboards. Crumbs sprayed from his mouth as he spoke. "Could've seen a Visitor. It would explain the dazed look."

"He would still have bags, a crowbar, a car outside," Kat said, looking at me thoughtfully, eyes narrowed.

"We should probably alert DEPRAC about a civilian casualty," Bobby Vernon spoke up. "He looks unwell."

Lockwood froze, staring at the man who remained quiet and unresponsive.

"Alright, I want everyone out searching for anything belonging to this man. Don't forget to take readings, treat this as you would a normal case. The Visitors are still out there and still dangerous, even though we are currently dealing with something mundane. Kipps, I wonder if I could speak to you? And Lucy, I want you here as well," Lockwood's tone was full of authority although a little hushed and although Kipps sent him a peeved look no one argued with him. Kipps took a seat at the head of the table and I left a chair between us. Lockwood left the room and Kipps and I glared at each other in silence. When Lockwood returned he was holding a packet of cotton wool, and I watched as he piled it into the man's ears.

"There, that should keep things private. The wonders you can perform from simple bathroom products," Lockwood said, throwing the cotton wool down on the table. He gave us a smile full of gleaming teeth, though it never reached his eyes. Resting his arms on the back of a chair he leant forward. "Kipps, I thought we might be able to discuss a proposition."

"Discuss, yes. Agree, highly unlikely," Kipps said flippantly, drumming his nails on the tabletop.

"Right, well we'll begin with the discussion, shall we?" Lockwood said. He paused, clearing his throat, rather dramatically I thought, before he continued. "What do you know of Archive One?"

Kipps stiffened.

"That is highly confidential information. I don't know how you got your hands on that, but-"

"Don't worry Kipps, Ms. Fittes and Inspector Barnes both had a stern word to us about it. But what do you know of it?"

"It's confidential. I'm a Fittes agent, we do not going around spreading confidential information."

"Kipps. This has important bearing on this case if I'm not mistaken."

Kipps was silent for a long time. He shook his head, once, twice, and then gave a great sigh. I could see in his eyes the exact moment he gave in.

"Not much," he said finally. "It was built, although has since been modified, before there was much understanding of Visitors. It's been preserved over the years as a sort of shrine to our history. The books and papers can no long be removed because of the prolonged exposure to multiple Sources. They've been there so long they can give you ghost touch."

"Why is there a door? Why would anyone possibly think it was a good idea to let anyone in there?"

Kipps shrugged.

"I don't know. I'm not authorised to know that sort of information."

Lockwood began to pace again. Kipps was tetchy, he kept fidgeting, waiting for Lockwood to explain what was going on.

"Come back with us to Portland Row," Lockwood said finally. "We'll explain there over takeaway and donuts." Lockwood eyed our captive speculatively. "I say we bring him along. DEPRAC are somehow involved in this and I think once you hear the full story you won't be so willing to trust them..."

Okay, um, wow. I sort of lied about the having it up on Wednesday, and then the having it up on Thursday thing, didn't I? Sorry, life's been a bit busy at the moment, but in a good way, just spontaneous sleepovers... Hope you like the new chapter! I can't believe Lockwood is inviting Kipps and more importantly FINN over to Portland Row. I guess we'll see how that turns out next chapter... Hope you enjoyed it and thankyou all for reading :D Your comments last chapter made me really happy, so thankyou all for sticking with me even though I haven't updated in an age :/ Love you all! <3