5

"This mission requires 2 miracles. "Maverick paces the floor, standing in front of all of us. The screen behind him follows along with the timing of his explanation. "2 consecutive missiles, hitting the same place, 5 seconds apart. And even then, if those 2 miracles are achieved, you still have to survive deadman's peak," The screen shows the long incline pop-up that all the pilots would have to endure.

"Wouldn't that apply at least 8g's on us?"

"9gs. Minimum."

________________________________________________________________________________

~Raven's POV~

We're all up in the sky again. 

We've mostly got the turns and twists of the terrain down, and now Maverick wants us to focus on aiming and shooting the missiles, then surviving the pull up to Deadman's peaks. I am the only one in the group so far who has tried and succeeded at surviving it, but I did it alone, not using the team that's provided. And I was way too slow. 

"That's a miss."

"Miss."

"Just off."

"DAM!"

"WHERE ARE WE AT BOB?"

"Another miss."

"There isn't enough time!" 

"Lock it on! Come on!"

"MISS!" 

Everyone, one after the other tries and tries again, completing the journey to the target just in time, leaving barely seconds to align and fire the missiles before approaching Deadman's peak. None of us have hit the target today, and I'm honestly starting to believe the first time I did was a complete fluke. 

I fly around as others keep trying and failing before it's my turn once more. Rooster and I pair up, as Maverick counts us into the course time. 

"And, go."Rooster and I zoom off, and I pull in front quickly. 

"Rooster you're going to fall behind you have to keep up," I say into my mic. Nothing. I fold my eyebrows in worry, before speaking again. "Rooster?" He once again doesn't say anything, his plane falling further and further behind me on my radar. I shake my head, turning my attention back to the terrain. I get to the first pop-up, quickly increasing my speed and flipping over to descend into the valley. I quickly line up my laser with the spare few seconds I have, releasing my missiles before I got the chance to lock on. 

"THAT'S A HIT!" I don't take time to celebrate before pulling up to Deadman's peak. Immediately my vision starts to blur, and I force myself to look down at my radar, seeing Rooster is barely making it to the first pop-up. 

"ROOSTER COME ON! YOU GOTTA GO WERE NOT GOING TO MAKE !" 

"I'LL MAKE IT!" He yells. I can hear the anger very present in his voice. Frustration and annoyance bubbled over the speaker, setting off a dark feeling in my stomach. I successfully pull up Deadman's peak, immediately feeling my body release and relax from underneath the pressure. Rooster is 10 seconds behind, giving him no time whatsoever to align his shot. He takes it, missing the opening I'd made for him, and quickly pulls up into the last stretch. 

"Rooster bailout, you won't make it you're already dead," I say into the mic. 

"NO, I'M NOT!" He yells back. I can hear the strain in his voice, his muscles tensing as the air around him compresses his body. He makes the peak, quickly spinning back around to release the pressure, but Maverick's voice rings through both our ears. 

"Great job Raven, you're the first today to have a fully successful run. Rooster you survived the pull-ups, but missed both the target and the time limit."  I hear Rooster switch channels, so I pull my plane up next to his, signaling to him to join the private channel I'm on. I see his head turn, very obviously seeing what I was doing... but he doesn't respond back. Or join the channel I told him to. And before I have the chance to signal it again he increases his speed, zooming off into the distance. My eyebrows knit again in confusion.