9

"Permission to take off, back up required." Hangman is sitting in his plane, geared up and ready to take off, he knows they need him.

"...I don't want to lose any more pilots today. Permission denied." The general speaks. Hangman slams his hands against his jet in anger.

"Dammit!"

________________________________________________________________________________

~Raven's POV~

Rooster and I are heading towards the enemy base. My thoughts were maybe we can hijack a plane of some sort, his where maybe he can find a nice guy who will give us a lift. We are both sneaking through the snow, our bodies held close to the ground, our boots softly going down every time we step, to avoid the loud cracking of fresh snow. We finally reach the base, seeing it smoked out, with many different holes along the runway, and throughout the hangers.

"Shit, they really bombed the hell out of it." Rooster whispers, pulling some binoculars out of his vest and bringing them up to his eyes. "Wait, there's one hanger that isn't damaged." He pulls the binoculars away from his face, passing them to me. We are both lying flat on the ground, using a pile of snow to keep us from any other person's view. I grab the binoculars, bringing them up to my face, only to feel Rooster's hand gently place itself on my hip. Pulling me in closer to him. I pull a face, bringing the binoculars away from my eyes and turning my head to find him purposefully staring out into the base, an intent look on his face. His eyes flick to mine as if to check what I'm doing, and once they see me he smiles. "What."

"Hand found a comfy home huh?" At the mention of his hand, he brushes it up and down my hip and using the one arm he pulls my entire body just that little bit closer. He leans in, our cold noses touching.

"Sure has." He closes the small gap between us, ever so slowly pressing his lips against mine, warming me for just a moment, before pulling away again. My eyes have fluttered closed, and I hear him laugh. "Focus Raven." They fly open and for lack of a better idea, I stick my tongue out at him before continuing to look at the hanger.

"Alright well, we might as well just give it a shot. I don't see any people around, I assume anyone that was here evacuated after the bombing, but we should be careful just in case." Without awaiting his response I pull myself up and out of his grasp, brushing off the snow that had found its way onto my chest, before running down the little hill. I turn my head to find Rooster standing up, and I point my head towards the hanger, urging him to hurry up. He lifts his hands in the air as if to tell me to calm down before running down to join me.

We both sneak across the blown-up tarmac, our heads constantly turning to see if anyone has seen or approached us. I make a bolt for the hanger, and Rooster follows suit as we both pull up into it.

"You've got to be shitting me." He says, looking up at the rusted old-looking F-14. "I have absolutely no idea how to fly this." He says, turning to look at me. A smile creeps onto my face,

"That's ok, you can be the weapons system officer." I run-up to the plane, using my momentum to jump up, grabbing onto the wing and hoisting myself up. I slide into the pilot's seat, letting myself take a breath as I look around me, taking in the controls. My hand finds the first few switches. "It's out of gas we need gas." roosters head spins around, trying to locate the gas hose that should be set up in the hanger. He finds it, running over to it and grabbing it, dragging it back up to the plane and attaching it. I confirm that the gas levels are increasing before moving on to the next step.

We go through all the checks, and I look up in hope as I flick the engine switch on. I cry out in happiness at the explosive sound that echos through the hanger before the engine starts to rattle and prepare.