❧ chapter ix: balter

BALTER - verb, to dance or tread clumsily.

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

It was the day of Dream's coronation, surprisingly. One would guess that he would wait to have a funeral for the deceased king, but he did not, much to Y/n's dismay. Rather, he scheduled the coronation to occur as soon as possible.

Y/n stood in the corner of the room at which everyone was mingling, sipping away at a glass of whiskey in her hands. In all honesty, she was unsure of how many glasses she'd had, but she didn't bother to check. It calmed her nerves and allowed her to more easily enjoy her time.

The girl took another sip of the drink, the sweet liquid running smoothly down her throat and causing a burning sensation in the process. A slight smile was planted at her lips as she did so, as he savored the flavor of the drink on her tastebuds.

Y/n scanned the people attending the party, looking for anyone that she wanted to talk to.

They must be somewhere else, she thought to herself, having seen no one that she knew very well. That was, until her eyes had scanned over Eret in the crowd, surrounded by a flock of women.

Y/n would have said that she was jealous if she didn't hate the man. Her gaze lingered on him as she gazed at the women surrounded him. The smiles on their faces showed nothing short of admiration— something Y/n lacked for the boy she was to be married to.

His lips were pulled up into a flirtatious smile as he placed a hand on the wall and leaned to the side. He seemed to be loving the attention. Y/n wondered why he had wanted to get married, in that case. It didn't make sense in her world, especially since it seemed as though he would have an affair with any of these girls after he was married— or even before, in a heartbeat.

How disgusting, the girl would think to herself, grimacing at the thought.

"It's been years since I've seen you make that face," a pleasantly familiar voice says from beside Y/n. The girl feels her expression morph into a suppressed smile as a slight redness covers her face. She turns her head to the side and is met with Wilbur who stands at her right, a suit covering his tall form.

"Yes, well, sometimes you just can't help it," she replies. An endearing smile adorns Wilbur's lips.

"I suppose not, anyways, how have you been?" He paused, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ask such a foolish question," he apologized.

Y/n sighs, "It's fine. I've been pretty terrible, but I suppose it's not as bad as when my mother died. I feel like I'm used to it now, almost," she explained.

Wilbur shoots her a sympathetic glance, "I think we both know that's not true."

Y/n bites her lip, "I suppose it's not entirely honest."

The two grow silent as they soak in the music playing in the background and watch as people chit chatter with one another.

"This isn't quite what most coronations are like," Wilbur stated.

"Dream's always been one for big events. He likes his parties."

"Clearly."

The both of them chuckle lightly.

"So, Y/n," Wilbur started, "I was actually meaning to discuss something with you." He explained. Said girl's eyebrows quirked up.

"Discuss what?" She asked softly.

"Well, the thing is, we can't exactly discuss it here." Y/n's brows furrowed.

"We have to do it somewhere private. At the moment, I know Dream might be looking for you or wanting to chat with you at some point. Since everyone's here, I found that the library is empty. Can you come meet me there?"

"Can you truly not talk about it now?" Wilbur shook his head.

"No," he replied, walking closer to the girl and tucking a strand of h/c hair behind Y/n's ear, "It's not for anyone's ears but your own."

"I doubt they'd hear," she protested.

"I can't risk it."

Y/n bit the inside of her cheek contemplatively, before reluctantly nodding.

"When do you want me to come?" She asked. Perhaps it was because of the the alcohol that was in her system, but she couldn't deny Wilbur's offer. Either way, he was one of her closest friends. 

"Midnight, preferably, or any time that you might be awake at night."

The girl chuckled, "You know me too well," she muttered fondly.

Wilbur grinned, "I look forward to seeing you, Y/n."

Your infectious grins are the sources of all my sweetest dreams.

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───