Chapter 42. Fly boy fly [Caleb]

The beasts knock over anything in their path towards us, closing in by the second.

They're growling, drool visibly trailing down their sharp teeth and onto the floor in transparent droplets. Wicked eyes locked upon us, ready to pounce. The only thing keeping us alive right now is them waiting for the killing order from their master.

A rewind button sounds good at this time, especially for moments like these. Then we wouldn't be staring death in the eyes. Well, at least not this soon and unprepared.

Right now, M is standing between the blood-hungry beasts and me. The grimace on his face, torn and tense, is starting to embed itself into my mind. He's stupidly heroic. A solid wall of protection, but definitely not for long when Mørke decides to finally let loose his vicious killing machines.

The visible muscle under M's shirt tenses, fists clenched, showing the clear white of his knuckles, ready to fight.

His voice echoes in my head, the word: run, repeating itself, over and over again. A shrill force beats against my eardrums. An order more than anything else.

But even if I wanted to run, which is the highly wise option, I can't. I'm not going to just high-tail it out of here, not without M right behind me. Unscratched, not dead. He might be a self-sacrificing idiot, but so am I.

My hand snakes its way around his wrist, holding tight. His pulse is quick, thumping under my fingertips at a hasty pace.

Before M can fully react, I'm dragging him off his feet. His body follows along, his feet finding the ground quickly as he gathers the memo and rushes with me down the hallway without a word.

"You won't go far!" Mørke yells from where we left him in the kitchen. Probably staring holes into my cabinets for all I know.

I can hear the beasts set off towards us. Their claws click and scratch across the wooden floor in a rush to catch up to us. Like a dog rushing toward the toy their owner just threw away. It could have been cute if it was an actual dog, and it wasn't trying to kill us, but it is.

Because of our headstart, we make it to the end of the stairs. We start to climb them two at a time before a loud thud fills the house. I look over M's shoulder to see that two beasts have flung themselves into the once flat wall, which now showcases a big gaping hole.

"Caleb, where the hell are we going-" M questions in a scampered tone.

"Just come on," I beeline towards my bedroom. M is trailing right behind me.

I manage to close the door right in time. Locking it in the process. The beasts are scratching and bumping against the door, rattling it.

"Tina is probably still in the bathroom," M rushes to say, eyes wide in worry.

"We can't go out there again," I say, starting to pull at the root of my locks in worry. "Hopefully, Tina heard the commotion and left through the bathroom window."

She might have called the police, with them being on their way right as we speak, but I leave that out. The police won't be able to stand up against Mørke and his beasts.

Cracks are starting to form around the door, only getting bigger by the second.

"What now?" M exclaims in frustration. Frustration matching my own as we both look around my bedroom.

We're stuck. When I started to run, I didn't think the plan through, not very. Leading us up here might as well have doomed us even further. We are so going to die here.

"We have to get out of here," M states the obvious.

"And how are we going to do that?" I ask, pointing at the bouldering door. "We're trapped. Those monsters are on the other side of the door, which is our only way out of here."