𝟎𝟕. 𝐣𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐥𝐲

chapter seven

chapter seven . . .
jealousy

In class, The headmistress gave a lesson to the fairy students.

Adella had been present physically. But mentally? She wasn't there.

Her feelings had been everywhere for a while now.

She'd been seeing Riven around the school with Beatrix. She didn't want to assume, but what was going on was as clear as day.

She hadn't thought much of it in the beginning, she didn't have control over what he did, they weren't together.

The feeling she would get when she'd spot the two together was a feeling she'd never felt before, she didn't know how to explain it.

So she avoided Riven like the plague.

Adella was broken out of her thoughts by the sound of Terra's voice.

"So, it's like the perfect pear, right?" Terra spoke up. "What you want me to do." She added. "You know how if you ever wanna eat a pear, it's always rock solid, and you wait and you wait, and it's still a rock, and then you touch it one second later, and it's all rotten mush." She rambled.

"Ugh, I hate pears." Adella and Musa said simultaneously with a look of disgust on their faces.

"Your magic connects you to living things." The headmistress said. "Feel how they communicate to you. The subtle signals or nature." She added while Terra began to demonstrate on the small flower plant that had been placed in front of her.

"Pheromones, vibrations." She listed.

The plant that Terra's hands hovered over began to grow into a sunflower until the plant suddenly shifted into a dandelion of sort and after a moment it wilted.

"You can give life." The headmistress said. "But there is a such thing as giving too much." She added.

"Too much is kind of her thing." Musa mused, causing Adella to chuckle quietly.

"Which you can feel 'cause you're an exposed microphone on a windy peak." The headmistress said as she shifted her attention to Musa. "Think of focusing on one emotion, in one direction. Narrow the field." She instructed.

Musa completed her task without difficulty.

"Good." The headmistress said.

"Now, Adella, I want you to focus on one element today." The headmistress said as she settled to stand behind Adella's seat. "I want you to focus on your element of air." She added.

Adella let out a breath of relief. Air had been one of the elements she'd mastered without difficulty.

Adella looked down a the stack of papers that had been put in front of her. She could practically feel the color change of her eyes.

Lifting her palm lightly, she focused on the stack of papers, each sheet of paper after one another, but stayed in a stack.

Deciding to let the stack levitate, Adella never let her eyes leave the papers as she dropped her hand.

"Well done." The headmistress complemented as she grabbed the stack of papers from thin air.

Sighing in relief, Adella rubbed her sweaty palms against the material of her jeans.

Adella stood in the lunch line behind Terra and Dane.

Looking down at the choices of food, she filled her cheeks with air and let out an annoyed groan.

"Are they sharing an apple?" Terra asked Dean.

Looking up in confusion, Adella's stomach felt like it'd dropped down to the pits of hell.

The sight of Riven with his arm wrapped around Beatrix's shoulder as they shared an apple is what Adella was met with.

"Adella!" Terra asked in confusion. "Aren't you and Riven together—" She added, but before she could finish her sentence, a zap of electricity left Adella's fingertips, startling most of the students in the cafeteria.

"Shit, sorry." Adella whispered softly as she turned on her heels to return to the suite.

Musa who'd been sitting not so far away, caught on to Adella's emotions and stood to her feet to follow after her. Musa had to admit, she and Adella had gotten close since Adella arrived.

Adella hadn't exactly always been bubbly around the girls, but to feel these new emotions from Adella was quite alarming to Musa.

Dane looked to Terra in confusion at scene that occurred.

"I thought that Adella and Riven were together." Terra said in confusion. "I walked in on the two making out." She added.

Dane not knowing what to say changed the topic and began to talk about a party that was happening later on.

That he had been invited to by Riven and Beatrix.

Adella sat on the floor of the suite, she thought about a lot of things. She'd finally come to terms with that the feeling she had been getting was jealousy.

She didn't have a right to be jealous, she and Riven weren't together. They had never established it nor did either of them bring up the topic of dating.

Adella was broken out of her thoughts by the sound of the door opening, Adella's head snapped up to the door to see Musa walking into the suite.

"Hey, you okay?" Musa asked as she settled on the floor next to Adella.

Fiddling with the rings on her fingers, Adella sighed. "No." She answered truthfully.

A look of surprise crossed Musa's face that Adella hadn't failed to notice.

"There's no point in lying to you." Adella chuckled.

"I noticed some things is all." Adella said. "Maybe I rushed into whatever I thought Riven and I had. And then I started seeing him with Beatrix..." She trailed off.

"And you started to realize your feelings for him." Musa finished for her.

"Yeah." Adella said with a shrug.

"Maybe you should tell him exactly how you feel." Musa said. "Or set boundaries and be friends, maybe." She added.

Adella took in her words. Adella knew that she could never just be friends with Riven, even if she tried.

note: *edited 8/9/23