Chapter Twenty - Delayed Reconciliation

Chapter Twenty

I pocketed my phone for what felt like the hundredth time, anxiously waiting for it to ring, as I exited the masjid. Khadra and I ended up joining Aaliyah at the masjid, gathered in a circle of girls for almost two and a half hours. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it. The theme for the session had been about patience and one of the girls had pulled out examples of Qur'an verses on the matter and even went over Hadiths where the Prophet (SAW) had practised patience. Using that, we constantly reflected upon how we could practice patience in our own lives. Coincidently, this is something I was in dire need of. I felt refreshed from the session, finding a hope I had lost a while ago. I felt a closeness to Allah (SWT) that I hadn't felt in a long time.

"Mum called, she's given me a list of things to get from the shops before we get home," Khadra spoke, as she removed her phone from her ears, addressing Aaliyah.

There was an agreement earlier that Aaliyah will be staying at Khadra's until further notice.

"Alright, have fun," I replied, not really listening.

I pulled out my phone once again, checking the time. He should be done with work. Has he seen the video? How will he react when he sees it? Will he call me? Will he want to see me? My thoughts were, once again, on overdrive. That's what I was waiting for; a call or some sort of text from him at the very least.

"Yeah, It's going to be so fun," she commented sarcastically. "Are you even listening to me?"

She noticed I was distracted.

"Er, yeah." I pocketed my phone again and looked at her, nodding.

"Come with us!" She insisted.

"Nah, I think I'll just go home."

"Home home or...?" Aaliyah trailed off, clearly hoping I'd go sort things out with Eijaz and Mum.

"My parent's house," I deadpanned.

Subconsciously, I placed my hand in my pocket, wrapping it around my phone, deciding whether to take it out again or not when suddenly my phone began to ring. I jumped unexpectedly and immediately pulled out my phone. I watched as Eijaz's name flashed on the screen.

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh. He's calling! Do you think he's seen the video?" I asked no one in particular.

"Well, answer it and find out!"

"Assalamu alaikum," I answered as I put the phone to my ear.

"Waalaikum Assalam. Hafeezah, where are you?" His voice sounded urgent.

"Just left the masjid."

"The local one?" He asked.

"Yeah, why?"

"Okay, stay there. I'll come to pick you up. We need to talk."

"If you're trying to take me home then listen, I told you my condition and I'm sticking to it."

"I won't take you home. Just stay there, we'll go somewhere else and talk first."

"Okay."

"Okay, see you soon In Shaa Allah."

"In Shaa Allah."

My heart was racing. I was nervous. Does this mean he saw the video? He didn't give away much.

"You alright, Hafeezah," Aaliyah asked when I didn't explain the phone call straight away.

"Yeah, you guys go ahead. I'll see you both soon In Shaa Allah. Your dula bhai is coming to talk to me," I answered.