Chapter Five - Light at the End of The Tunnel

Chapter Five

My hands were shaking so vigorously as I attempted to unlock the front door that my keys already fell to the floor twice in the process. What should have been a ten-minute walk for milk turned into three hours; when Elizabeth said she had so much to update me on, she really meant it. If you give her the chance, this girl won't stop talking. To say that I was scared of Mum's reaction of returning much later than expected is an understatement.

When I finally entered the house, I went into the kitchen as quietly as possible after taking my shoes off by the door and placed the milk into the fridge. I lifted my niqab over my face so it flapped over my head. I noticed that the mug I left in the sink earlier was washed and sat alongside Eijaz's washed mug in the dish drainer.

"Where were you?" An angry voice questioned me. "I called you a million times."

I jumped as I closed the fridge door and came face to face with Eijaz. Actually, he called fifteen times but I didn't think it was a good idea to mention that.

"I'm sorry. I dropped my phone, then eventually someone had returned it to me and I bumped into a friend. We were catching up and I, kind of, lost track of time," I replied, mixing the truth up a little.

"I was so worried, Hafeezah. Just pick up your phone next time and tell me, okay? I wouldn't have minded. I could have gone and bought the milk myself." He approached me, gazing down at me. "Honestly, I thought something had happened to you and I was going nuts! Ask Mum."

"I know, I'm sorry. I just really needed some fresh air so that's why I wanted to get the milk myself; I haven't been out of the house in three and a half weeks, you know!" I explained. "I'm sorry I took long and didn't let you know. I merely lost track of time, I promise."

After a furious glare, his gaze eventually softened and he planted a kiss on my forehead. To be honest, I didn't want to pick up his call because I knew Mum would have taken the phone from him and shout at me, which is ironic since Mum spends a lot of time at other people's houses.

"I was just really worried. Let me know next time, okay? I'm glad you're okay. If you wanted fresh air, you should have told me. We could have gone for a walk together," he sighed.

"That would have been lovely but you were tired, I couldn't ask you to. Besides, you've been really busy lately that we haven't been out together in such a long time. I don't want to disturb you."

I wrapped my arms around him, suddenly missing his closeness and the time we used to spend together. I hoped Mum wouldn't walk in on this.

"I know," he said, sadly. "I don't even know why we haven't spent time together much lately."

I do; your mother. Of course, I couldn't say that and then start an argument with him in the midst of this moment. He, in turn, wrapped his arms around me and rested his chin on my head. With that gesture, I knew Mum wasn't around otherwise he wouldn't have done it.

"It's okay, I understand."

I squeezed him a little.

"Let's go for a walk now. I'll go let Mum know and get ready."

He squeezed me back, then let go.

"I would like that. Where is Mum?" The butterflies I felt in my stomach were going crazy. I tried to respond calmly but my insides were freaking out from how happy I was to hear that. He hadn't offered to take me out in such a long time that I had given up on the idea.

"In her room." He answered before exiting the kitchen and going up the stairs.

I didn't realise I was smiling until my cheeks hurt from doing it so widely. I made my way into the living room and sat on the sofa, intending to wait for him. At that point, my phone rang. I took it out to see that it was Khadra.