Chapter Twenty-One - The Confession

Chapter Twenty-One

I was a little too shocked to react and allowed Eijaz to drag me out of the café and through the park, passing his car along the way. His own emotions prevented him from checking if I could keep up as I stumbled and tripped behind him, his hand on my wrist being the only thing keeping me upright.

"Eijaz, stop, you're hurting me!" I eventually mentioned.

He loosened his grip but wouldn't let go nor did he slow down.

"I'm not going to stop until we confront her. I'm not leaving any chance of you running away. You want Mum to admit what she's done, I'll get her to admit it." He replied without looking back at me.

"You sound angry, please stop. You can do this later in a calm manner when you've had time to think," I reasoned. Surely he won't speak to his mother in this state?

"Hafeezah, I am angry. She should have thought about it before doing any of this if she isn't willing to face me like this."

The rest of the journey, which wasn't long anyway, was in silence as I was trying to think of something else to deter him from this confrontation. When I told him I would only go home when he got Mum to admit everything, in every scenario I had imagined, I was not in any of them. I was not expecting to be present when he confronted her about her behaviour. Before I could think of anything to say, he stopped and as I was deep in thought, bumped into his back. He didn't even flinch as he took out his keys and unlocked the front door with one hand, all the while still grabbing my wrist. He pulled me in and closed the door behind me and only then did he let me go just so he could take off his shoes. I stood stiff by the door, making no movement so Eijaz nodded towards my shoes, signalling to take them off.

My heart was beating heavily in my chest, scared and anxious about the scene that was about to unfold. Obediently, I took my shoes off as quietly as possible.

"Eijaz, Beta, is that you?" Mum called from the living room.

"Assalamu alaikum, yes, Mum," he replied, surprisingly calm.

"I'm in the living room," she called out.

We both already knew that from the sound of the TV coming from the living room.

Once I stood up again after taking my shoes off, he held my wrist again. He nodded at me, signalling that it was time. I shook my head and tried to pull my arm away but his grip was too strong for me. Before I knew it, we were in the living room and Mum turned around hearing my footsteps. Her face dropped as soon as she saw me but just for a split second before she composed herself.

She got up from her seat and approached us, about to pull me into a hug, "I'm so glad you're okay. I cried to Allah day and night, I was so worried. Alhamdulillah."

So the drama begins...

Before she could embrace me though, Eijaz pulled me away, slightly behind him.

Mum looked at Eijaz incredulously, questioning his actions.

"You have some explaining to do," Eijaz demanded, not even offering for everyone to sit down first.

"What are you talking about?" He had never spoken to his mother like that before so she was taken aback.

"Why are you trying to get me remarried?"

"What lies has she been telling you?" Mum sneered at me, her tone changing in an instant to disgust.

"Mum, stop this! I know what you've been doing, just admit it," Eijaz commanded.