CHAPTER TEN.

This was the first time Jack found himself alone with Mira. He expected awkward questions, maybe an experimental poke in the arm, but all she did was stare at him with her always-open eyes. It was perfect because Jack was too consumed with what he'd heard to be useful in any kind of conversation.

Graham was up to something, that was for sure. But what? And who had he been talking to that could vanish so suddenly? Had Jack just not noticed her slipping out of the room when Graham had been threatening him? He supposed it was a possibility, but he doubted it. Maybe she was a fairy and could shrink down whenever she wanted? Maybe she'd been hiding behind the books or something. Maybe she turned invisible? At this point Jack wouldn't doubt it.

"You're a very handsome man," Mira said suddenly. "Did you know that?"

"Er – thanks," Jack said for lack of a better word.

"You shouldn't let Graham worry you," she said mildly, swinging her basket. "He's just jealous that Tiberius cares for you so much."

Jack didn't know what to say to that, so instead he tried, "So . . . you and Everett, huh?"

"You sound surprised."

"A little," he confessed. "You guys are so . . . different." Different, Jack thought privately, was a much kinder word than the alternative.

"Yes," Mira agreed. "He can be a bit odd, but I think that just makes him all the better. Don't you?"

Jack couldn't help it. He laughed. Mira looked surprised, but he really doubted she would get it even if he explained. Her and Everett, he conceded, weren't so bad.

They found Tiberius in the dining room, sitting at the head of the table with a plate full of untouched steaks. Tiberius had his chin on his palm instead, looking out the window.

He looked deep in thought, but as Jack and Mira approached, he said, "Any reason you're rubbing your collarbone?"

Jack blinked, dropping his hand. He hadn't even realized he'd been doing it. The spot where Graham's scarred knuckles had bumped against him as he'd gripped him was now a deep red.

"You're still here?" he asked instead. Servants stood alongside the table with jugs ready, eyes anxiously darting between Tiberius and Jack. Other chairs had been pushed back from the table, plates and glasses sat empty, but Tiberius looked like he'd hardly even had a sip of water. Jack got the feeling he didn't miss many meals.

"I was worried you'd come back and wouldn't find me," he said, finally turning to meet Jack's gaze. The intensity of it had Jack almost stepping back. He looked like a bomb, ready to go off, but was managing to contain his anger to just his eyes. "Don't ignore my question, Jack."

"Don't tell me what to do, Tiberius," Jack snapped back.

Tiberius didn't look the least bit amused or softened now. He glared at Jack and for the first time, there was real impatience there.

"Mira," Tiberius commanded, never taking his eyes off Jack, "who did that to him? Speak."

"Mira, don't say a word," Jack demanded at once, holding Tiberius's gaze back. His heart pounded and his head urged him to look away, look down, stop defying this beast. But Jack couldn't. Graham was up to something and if Tiberius confronted him now, then Jack had a feeling something a whole lot worse was going to happen. Graham might even be expecting him to say something, might have a backup plan, and Jack wanted to figure out what he was up to before he jumped to any conclusions.

Not that he cared about what happened to Tiberius, he told himself. He just hated bullies, and Graham was undoubtedly that. He had no idea why it mattered so much, but he had to do this himself. He had to beat Graham. It was a wild instinct, but Jack was known for following his instincts, no matter how crazy.