CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT.

Jack walked into the clearing alone. His heart was weighing down heavily in his chest, and he knew it was for more than the fear of what he was about to do. It was the distance from Tiberius, the ache of facing an old friend, and the attempt to keep his eyes forward and his face inexpressive as he came to stand directly opposite to Isaac.

"You came," Isaac smiled softly, holding the Werewolf Stone in his hands. "Why am I not surprised? Did you free Graham and Mira, too?"

Jack stared at the stone, feeling sick. It had been soaked in blood. Human blood.

"They're on their way to Tiberius right now," Jack threatened. "He'll stop you."

Isaac hummed. "Not in time. And I think you know that. So why are you here?"

Jack sighed shakily. "Because it's almost midnight, and when the full moon comes out, I won't have the chance to talk to you like this." He forced himself to take a step forward. "Isaac. It's me. I'm your friend, remember? This isn't you, this isn't the guy that helped me when I got here!"

"Why can't it be me?" he asked gently. "Why not, Jack? Because I'm usually so quiet? Obedient?"

"Kind," Jack argued, and Isaac fell silent. "And this isn't kindness, Isaac. What you did to those people in Crowswood—"

"They're just humans."

"I'm just a human!"

"You were never just a human!" Isaac argued. "You were always fated for more. And you'll stay a wolf king, you'll just have a different mate."

"I don't want a different mate!" he snapped. "I love Tiberius!"

That, apparently, was the wrong thing to say. Isaac's head hung back and he looked down at Jack. Then he narrowed his eyes, turning his head from side to side like he was listening for something. "Why can't I hear anyone else?"

Jack clenched his fists, willing his heart to calm down. "Because I came alone. I wanted to get through to you."

"Hmm." He smirked, amused. "No, you didn't. I've been watching you, Jack. You may have been used to working alone out in that human world, but you're too used to having someone at your side now." He moved the stone to hold it with one hand, and with his other, picked up a rock off the ground. It was a little sharp, and he flipped it. With the Werewolf Stone, he didn't seem to be in any pain whatsoever.

His smile was a little sad as he said, "So no, my love. I don't think you came alone at all."

And he flung the rock at Jack. Jack barely had the time to gasp as it came shooting at him, then Graham was suddenly in front of him, knocking it aside with such speed and force than Jack didn't know where it had gone until it lodged into a tree trunk.

Isaac's little smile turned small and bitter as Violet, Philomena, and Lavender all came out of their hiding spots, their arms up.

"Using witches to hide yourself," Isaac spat. "How unlike you, brother."

                The sky outside had turned to dark by the time they made it out of the tunnel with every mirror they could carry.

                Jack panted, a stitch in his side. Tiberius was too far away and he was hurting, but his friends looked just as pained as they fought off their wolf forms for as long as they could. "How much time do we have?"

                Graham clutched his chest, his breathing heavy. Mira climbed down from Everett's back.

"Three hours? Maybe two?"