CHAPTER TWELVE.

Jack was no stranger to running away. The number of times he'd trespassed onto private property to catch wealthy government officials trying to burn important documents or snap a picture of a dirty cop in an act of crime was shocking for someone so young in his career. There wasn't much he could say he hadn't experienced.

Still, he had to admit, being chased by werewolves was a first. He ran back down the path as fast as he could, hoping that Tiberius hadn't gone far from him, whatever Jack had said. He suspected he might've already been caught if not for the number of people in the wolves' path, some just curious and some actively trying to stop the attackers.

"He's the king!" one man gaped.

Another woman screeched behind them. "Have you gone mad, William?! He'll kill you for this!"

William and his friends didn't seem to believe that Tiberius could care about Jack that much because they never stopped their chase. Nonetheless, as aggravated as their growls sounded, they didn't seem to want to trample or hurt anyone, and it was easier for Jack to weave around people in his size than it was for abnormally large wolves.

Jack flitted between the trees, leaping off the path he'd taken and hiding behind the heavy trunks, knowing that if he stayed on the open road then the wolves would have a much easier time catching up to him.

He may have been used to being chased, but back in Portland he was chased through grand hallways and alleyways and open streets. Now he was chased through a forest that he was still a stranger to. He tripped over tree roots and stumbled in patches of slippery grass and was clawed up by more than a few low-hanging branches and pine needles.

Pine. The smell of it had him wishing for once that Tiberius had ignored his demands and stayed close by. But Jack had to have sounded angrier than he thought because as far as he ran, as much as people's shouts echoed in the distance, as loud as the vicious growls grew, Tiberius was nowhere in sight.

Soon the people's voices faded, even the wolves. Jack briefly thought he might've lost them. Maybe the scent of pine was stronger than his blood. Where was Tiberius? He'd probably gone back to the castle. Was he on his way? Jack cast a look over his shoulder. He was sure he'd strayed so far off the path that he wondered if Tiberius would even find him –

"AH!" he screamed as he hit something hard, and tumbled before he fell limp against heavily curled roots poking out of the ground.

He pushed himself up with a groan and heard a similar sound. He looked up and found he'd stumbled into a small clearing. But that wasn't all. He hadn't tripped over something, he'd tripped over someone. And she was lying on the ground with her back to him, curled on her side in a dark gray cloak, her long black hair splayed out behind her.

"Oh my god," Jack breathed, and crawled over to her. "Lady? Hey, lady, you okay?"

He hesitated, then put a hand on her shoulder, shaking her slightly. She was freezing, a basket set out in front of her with lavender poking out the edge. She started to move. Jack didn't dare remove his hand until she was sitting upright, in case she needed his help. Her brown eyes blinked up at him and she rubbed her arm where Jack must've run into her.

"I'm so sorry," he said at once, glancing over his shoulder. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine," she murmured, her hand on her arm, her eyes narrowed at Jack. "Who are you?"

Jack had to look back at her, mildly surprised. Had she not heard the news yet? He assumed every werewolf knew about him by now. He decided he liked being a stranger again, at least for a minute.